Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

i there chairboy , i used to visit my granparents who just lived a stone's throw away from darnall statoin in 1956-62 im from bradford but my mother was from darnal before moving to bradford in the 30s to find work, hence the visits to my grandma's, any way i used to be a trainspotter in those days and used to wait for the train headed by a brittannia , and thanks for clearing up a mystery i had pondered over in recent years and that was what was the train and where was it coming from/ going to and thanks to this thread its been answered, just wondering whats become of the site of darnall sheds (41a), also my dad was from newcastle and yes youve guessed it i used to go there as well now and again when i was young (52a) gatehead bowes bridge

• 5 weeks later...

Millhouses shed 28th December 2011

DSCN1039400923.jpg

Bet you never saw woodseats road bridge like this did you

DSCN1039400876.jpg

During the work to put new decks on the bridge, the craine is parked on what is now known as Heeley Up Passanger Loop

i there chairboy , i used to visit my grandparents who just lived a stone's throw away from darnall station in 1956-62 i'm from bradford but my mother was from darnall before moving to bradford in the 30s to find work, hence the visits to my grandma's, any way i used to be a trainspotter in those days and used to wait for the train headed by a britannia , and thanks for clearing up a mystery i had pondered over in recent years and that was what was the train and where was it coming from/ going to and thanks to this thread its been answered, just wondering whats become of the site of darnall sheds (41a), also my dad was from newcastle and yes you've guessed it i used to go there as well now and again when i was young (52a) gateshead bowes bridge

hi big-uggy, I used to work at Darnall sheds, but it was a carriage and wagon depot then. The old steam shed was divided so that we maintained Mk 1 and Mk2 carriages on roads 1 2 3 4, and the rest of the shed was wagon maint' and repairs. The old electric shed was used for DMU maint' on night shift only.

I think it was '84ish, the roof was condemned and said to be unsafe, and was removed, which meant that the wagon maint' was moved over to the old electric shed and carriage maint' was moved to York. We were then reduced to sealing up rolling stock that contained 'blue asbestos'. The rolling stock was then sent away for scrap. We were also stripping DMUs of their engines and any other parts required to keep the, then ageing fleet running.

A very tragic end to what had been over the years a very busy depot.

And now it is an industrial estate, its hard to imagine what it was to how it is now. I had a walk round there a few weeks ago, it brought a lot of memories back.

hi geotom in the late 1950S EARLY 60S i used to walk from a street, (now long gone its where pearce walk is now) near the kingshead towards the old dog track to look a the sheds its the only bit of sheffield i remember as i was visiting my grandmother , as i was born in bradford and was only young at that time, i took early retirement and have a part time job delivering carparts , and guess what it was to the parkway ind, estate and i had no idea i was so close , went on google maps and the rest is history as they say , youre right its unrecognisable , im goin to have a good look around the area one weekend , thanks for your help geo

• 1 month later...

The 37 may be familiar to some of you from your spotting days but the class 73 behind wont be as they only worked on the southern , they head the network rail testtrain about to depart sheffield midland station today to go to edge hill via the hope valley

DSCN9993.jpg