Anyone go to butlins skeggy in the 70s

sharonxxxx

just been looking at old photos of me n mi cousins in the 70s at butlins brought back some memories .can anyone remember going there back then things i remember is the swimming pool then there was glass panels underneath and spectators could watch from the other side of the pool ?

and the beaver club is that what it was called ?

and god the loo paper in the challets were like in a box with a slit in it really cheap crappy paper ? funny what sticks in your mind i know :loopy:

and does anyone remember the cafe there it had like a bridge inside and crocodiles in the water not real ones obviuously but i used to think they was lol

anyone got any other memories of butlins to jog my memory a bit more lol xxx

We used to go to Butlins at Skegness at that time with our two children who loved it, and we became friends with a family from Knaresborough who we used meet there each year and were friends with two Redcoats and knew them very well,one lived just a short distance from us at home,he is a successful childrens entertainer now, and another was a young lady, a very glamourous young lady who was a Redcoat, she came from Handsworth, and we used to keep in contact during the winter, and they always told us when their contracts came through for the following season.

Our glamourous friend was always an attraction for the lusty young men about,and quite often she would ask us all to walk with her to her chalet late at night to avoid the unwanted attentions of the aforementioned young bloods.

One winter we invited her to spend the week-end with us a join our party at a social event, and when we walked in all the fella's young and old jaws dropped much to their own wives and girl friends disgust, and later during the evening the males were queueing to dance with her.

We also remember Spook and Juke who were entertainers in one of the bars in the other part of the centre across the road under the tunnel.We enjoyed some smashing holidays at Butlins at Skeggy, mainly because we had two young children who could wander about completely safe.Now the memory banks have been opened if any other memories surface we will post them.

I was at Butlin's Skeggy for 4 months in 1941, learning about flags,morse code and semaphore,among other things. Two of us to a chalet in which you could hardly swing a cat. Just a "bed" with a dividing partition,and a small wash basin with cold water. How the heck punters paid for such accommodation is beyond me.

1st went to Butlins Skegness in 73 with my boyfriend & his family (went on to marry him). I was only 16 & vividly remember the Hawaiian Bar (which later burned down), the pokey chalets, the tanoy call for breakfast in the morning & the lonnnnnng dining tables. Still have a red plastic key fob with a photo inside that was taken by a photographer whilst we were sat at the table ......... Still holiday there with the family & grandaughter. My how things have changed !

We always used to go self-catering so we could eat and drink when we were ready,especially with having two childen and our friends two.We too remember the Hawiiain ballroom and the Pig and Whistle where it was bingo at lunchtime.Our evening place was the the big ballroom in the camp centre(forget the name)so the children could do their own thing and always knew where we were, and they always had a chalet key on a string around their necks.

This is where our male redcoat friend came looking for us when he had been told there was a family from South Yorkshire in the ballroom,his mother lived about a mile from us and he became a very good friend,he was always hungry so when there was a break in his duties we always had sandwich or two for him,and word soon got around his colleagues, we see his elder brother even today.

Hi Sharon went in the early 50ties, we did'nt like it very much in the dance hall, and was told that it was much better in the Butlins Hotel next door we took advantage of the baby sitting service and went there every night, but on the last night went we went to book for babysit we were told that the hotel was out of bounds for that service, it was a good job he never used to wake at that time,.cheers Arthur.

Hi Sharon went in the early 50ties, we did'nt like it very much in the dance hall, and was told that it was much better in the Butlins Hotel next door we took advantage of the baby sitting service and went there every night, but on the last night went we went to book for babysit we were told that the hotel was out of bounds for that service, it was a good job he never used to wake at that time,.cheers Arthur.

thanks arthur xxxx keep the memories coming xx i remember that from prev quote also now i remember feeling verry grown up because i was allowed to have a challet key of my verry own lol lol x

Archived