Anybody remember the Clegg twins?

snout

47 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Very likely.  They had property all over the place.  Quite a lot in Heeley.

A bloke by the name of Tom Pass was their property repairer,  if that rings a bell

Thanks for the reply, not sure about Tom Pass.

• 4 weeks later...

A very good friend of mine Paul Bellamy worked for the Clegg twins at their insurance office at the bottom of Staniforth Road and he has some very interesting stories about them. Paul went on to run hisnown insurance agents and moved to Handsworth Road near the White Rose pub, it was called Cavendish Insurance Brokers with Alan Barker who has sadly passed away, Paul is still alive and kicking and still runs and owns Cavendish Car Sales on Staniforth Road and he has been there for around 40 years. I see him every Saturday for brunch with 5 others. Paul is in his early eighties but still plays 5 a side football twice a week and belies his age.  

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2023 at 11:56, alf1956 said:

A very good friend of mine Paul Bellamy worked for the Clegg twins at their insurance office at the bottom of Staniforth Road and he has some very interesting stories about them. Paul went on to run hisnown insurance agents and moved to Handsworth Road near the White Rose pub, it was called Cavendish Insurance Brokers with Alan Barker who has sadly passed away, Paul is still alive and kicking and still runs and owns Cavendish Car Sales on Staniforth Road and he has been there for around 40 years. I see him every Saturday for brunch with 5 others. Paul is in his early eighties but still plays 5 a side football twice a week and belies his age.  

Is Nick Clegg a relative off the. Clegg brothers in this forum 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slinny said:

Is Nick Clegg a relative off the. Clegg brothers in this forum 

Nick Clegg fell for the 3 card trick ‘ Same as Blair did when he resigned  The conservatives would be laughing little apples  Blair was a poster boy for the ladies. Brown no chance.

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Blair has never been a Labour man Slinny , an imposter along with his wife , out to enrich them selves beyond belief.

Clegg backed the wrong party .

Very true he did not do much for the manual working men like us . He could have reversed many things the conservatives did but chose not to ,Starmer does not seem much better up to now , But forme  anything is better than this lot 

18 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Very true he did not do much for the manual working men like us . He could have reversed many things the conservatives did but chose not to ,Starmer does not seem much better up to now , But forme  anything is better than this lot 

In the late 60 or early 70s two Jews owned a garage called pear moters   On East Bank Road , Some off the local lads had motors with no deposit off them The two owners just upped sticks and by all accounts went to Israel  never to be seen again  So the lads got their cars very cheap . Could that have been the Cleggs l wonder if anyone can remember  

20 minutes ago, Slinny said:

In the late 60 or early 70s two Jews owned a garage called pear moters   On East Bank Road , Some off the local lads had motors with no deposit off them The two owners just upped sticks and by all accounts went to Israel  never to be seen again  So the lads got their cars very cheap . Could that have been the Cleggs l wonder if anyone can remember  

My Cousins Wife and her brother inherited Pearl motors from their family, she eventually sold her share to her brother and moved to Scarborough where she and my cousin bought a holiday park,

This would be in the late 80's or early 90's.

1 hour ago, Alextopman said:

My Cousins Wife and her brother inherited Pearl motors from their family, she eventually sold her share to her brother and moved to Scarborough where she and my cousin bought a holiday park,

This would be in the late 80's or early 90's.

Your dad would have know all about this ,He certainly would have known some off the lucky blokes who bought some off the cars  Did he ever mention Chris Benson  Nick name jockeys Whip  Jut thinking about him today  nothing to do with cleggs  Just going back in time ‘

10 hours ago, Slinny said:

Your dad would have know all about this ,He certainly would have known some off the lucky blokes who bought some off the cars  Did he ever mention Chris Benson  Nick name jockeys Whip  Jut thinking about him today  nothing to do with cleggs  Just going back in time ‘

I knew Chris Benson he lived on Greenhill and boozed in the White Swan, he also used to go in the Globe when Pete Drabble had it.

Edited by Alextopman