Do Teachers wanting to marry in term time get 1 day off or more?

I did thanks and from the quistion the poster is asking about how many days off you can get if you got married during term time. My answer was who would want to as most people will be at work. I think it was a fair reply :rant:.

Don't rant at me Jibbs. Go and read the OP's post (it's #20) where she plainly states exactly how many guests there are going to be. Then read your previous post and you'll understand why I said what I did.

Good points but yes, we will have two witnesses and us due to family issues and disputes, its far better for us and less stressful.

I don't think its fair to have to have our wedding in the school holidays because eveyone has their own personal circumstances in life and it may not fit that way.

Anyway, it is as it is. I'm marrying a Teacher so be it.

Thanks xxx

I don't think its fair to have to have our wedding in the school holidays because eveyone has their own personal circumstances in life and it may not fit that way.

I don't think it's fair that my partner is a cripple through no fault of her own, but - hey, guess what? - life isn't fair. Suck on it.

You choose to be a teacher, you know when your holidays are going to be, and you know you can't alter them.

I would contact the local union rep for the teaching union of your husband to be, and ask for clarification as to what the newest guidelines are. Either way, he will have to make a case in writing to the governors and probably relinquish pay for however long he wants off. If he knows someone suitable to cover for the period who would be willing to say they would cover, and he agrees to provide suitable work, then this can only help your case. Good luck. I don't see why anyone should not be allowed to get married on the day of their choosing, no matter what their profession.

I think Diva is right. You would need to make a request to the governors/Head of the school for unpaid leave. It would be unpaid leave as they would have to pay a supply teacher to cover the class/teaching commitments. Effectively, the saving they make from not paying you, goes to pay the substitute teacher. In my experience, I have known people take a week off on unpaid leave but it is entirely based on the Heads discretion and factors such as your attendance or similar previous requests will probably be taken into account.

Thanks all for your varied comments.

Everyone should have the choice when and how they get married regardless of their profession as some agree, luckily we got a friday around the time we wanted.

Sometimes it is not just as simple as wanting a certain day but everyone has different personal circumstances and situations. Its not a simple as you think.

Thanks

Good job footballers don't all take Saturday's off during football season to get married!

when my cousin played for sheffield united 31 years ago , he had to get married on a sunday it was the first sunday wedding i had ever heard of . it cost a lot more money they said.

Archived