Gleadless Valley named bad area in The Star

TESTPASS

We lived in the same council Maisonette for fifty four years, it was brilliant then the council put Immigrants in 16 of the 20 Maisonettes, rubbish everywhere, grassed areas dug up to plant corn, cooking on the pavement, the council wouldn't respond to emails and photos, it got gradually worse so we had to move, plus drug dealers were never bothered by the police, it was rife but nothing was done.

We loved our Maisonette but having to move was all down to the council not wanting to be called racist, the Immigrants did as they pleased and we had to live among it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vmam said:

We lived in the same council Maisonette for fifty four years, it was brilliant then the council put Immigrants in 16 of the 20 Maisonettes, rubbish everywhere, grassed areas dug up to plant corn, cooking on the pavement, the council wouldn't respond to emails and photos, it got gradually worse so we had to move, plus drug dealers were never bothered by the police, it was rife but nothing was done.

We loved our Maisonette but having to move was all down to the council not wanting to be called racist, the Immigrants did as they pleased and we had to live among it. 

I recently drove through Gleadless and to say it's changed since I lived there is an understatement. 

I hardly recognised it.

20 minutes ago, vmam said:

Guess they don't see the irony.

By ignoring issues because they're caused by minorities, they're being racist. Choosing not to act based on ethnicity is just as racist as choosing to act. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, vmam said:

Thats my story as well , The best house we ever had we had to move because of the toss pots these do Gooders  put on the estate .

But it was not only immigrants Sheffield has plenty of its own born and bred .

When labour came to my door canvassing for votes, I asked why only immigrants were getting all the empty properties, I told him I didn't want to live in an African village, he didn't know what to say.

Children as young as eight or nine were looking after toddlers while parents were out scrounging for unwanted things which they parcelled up and was sent back to the Congo to be sold, if we left children in charge of toddlers we would be in court charged with child neglect.

Edited by vmam

When the Gleadless Valley estate was new in the early 60s , many people from the demolished Pitsmoor area were transferred there, including some of my uncles and aunts. It was superb, as a boy we would go playing in the woods, fishing for bullheads in the stream. Wouldn't fancy it now.