Gleadless Valley named bad area in The Star

TESTPASS

There are no "official boundaries" here. some of us, if you read, are saying that we consider the valley to be the bottom area of the estate. CONSIDER i said. this is what we think of it. this is not an official here saying my god you all wrong, is one resident saying how she see's the estate and has seen it since a baby. is all.

now forget that. Gleadles (all of it) is not that bad and we are not blind to the problems and are not being defensive about it. We sticking up for it. we saying it not that bad because it actually isnt' that bad. no worse than most areas. we love gleadless thats why we all getting hot and bothered. we all obviously proud to live there. we all saying the same thing and yes we getting carried away about what bit is what, myself included, and that not getting any of us anywhere. its all gleadless, valley and all. and I love it. :)

hear hear sezemeseeds spotswood lad hear spent all my childhood on valley and i love that estate, many many happy memories and would not change them for the world still got lots of mates live there, its only the scrotes they have moved on valley over the last few years thats spoiling it, and to say its the worst in sheffield is a complete joke:loopy: ex valley lad.

hear hear sezemeseeds spotswood lad hear spent all my childhood on valley and i love that estate, many many happy memories and would not change them for the world still got lots of mates live there, its only the scrotes they have moved on valley over the last few years thats spoiling it, and to say its the worst in sheffield is a complete joke:loopy: ex valley lad.

am a spotswood girl myself. and the place will always hold special place in myheart. have to agree 99% of the scum have moved into gleadless in last 10 years or so. is only odd native gleadlesser that turned very very bad.

I may be totally wrong and am just thinking out loud, but it has been said that issues began in the late 80's. Now opening out the idea, does this not have any connection to the fact that this was when unemployment levels shot through the roof and many people were put out of work.

Subesequently we have seen a generation of parents who were not in work after leaving school and became career claimants?

The example set by this minority plus the movement of people onto the estate in a similar mind set has led to a concentrated group of families who have never worked and not really bothered with education or stricts codes of moral conduct. Which in turn has led to feral kids or kids with no objectives in life, they are of the assumption that there is no future other than the path their parents have taken?

Now Gleadless residents, don't have a go at me, I'm just theorising but those families who are bringing the rep of the area down could derive from this sort of evolutionary change in attitudes to work and their local community.

So, getting them back into work and getting the young people engaged might be the answer to changing attitudes from within the estate.

understand where you coming from. but have to disagree to some extent. think in some cases that could be right. but not in most cases. I was unemployed for a short time, with a young son to support. and yes I claimed benefit but I also went to college to retrain and got a better job than I had before. one that gave me a great career. I was 30 when I went to college not a young 16 year old. I did what I had to do to support my child. I didnt wallow in self pity cos no job and claimed all benefits i could. I was brought up to support myself and my family and I did just that. I got off my backside and worked hard at college so to get off benefits quicker.

I know a woman who has lived on the valley all her life. she comes from a very decent family. she has a son, grown up now, got in to drugs and her son one of the people who causes trouble in the area. he had no support growing up and was brought up in a very unsecure environment. that I would say was because of the drugs his mum was on. drugs, umemployment all adds to the trouble in the area.

It's not everyone, but as we know it doesn't take lots of people to affect an area and gain it a reputation. Unemployment, and the unwillingness to change generationally as I have seen happen personally is a soul sapper and some folks see smoking weed drinking and doing little else as the norm.

Hopefully the investment and work taking place in the area will go some way to alleviating some of the problems. Don't give up, things can change and even if you can't reach everyone the good people shine through.

Why not ? never about when they needed ! last week we found a old man wandering the streets trying to cross a busy main rd at 8am in dressing gown and slippers,nearly caused a major accident plus held up traffic,the police was rung by 3 people 55 mins later they turned up,Newfield greens shops police rung every night turn up 4 hr later,call a coloured a name police turn up within 5 mins,so dont preach or police on gleadless valley cause there isnt any unless racist incident

Assuming that 'why not?' means why wouldn't the police manipulate the figures the answer is that they have no reason to do so. And like I said they would be very difficult to manipulate.

The rest of your post is somewhat difficult to decipher. But it seems that the police are called on a regular basis, so I don't see how you can claim that it's not a crime hotspot.

understand where you coming from. but have to disagree to some extent. think in some cases that could be right. but not in most cases. I was unemployed for a short time, with a young son to support. and yes I claimed benefit but I also went to college to retrain and got a better job than I had before. one that gave me a great career. I was 30 when I went to college not a young 16 year old. I did what I had to do to support my child. I didnt wallow in self pity cos no job and claimed all benefits i could. I was brought up to support myself and my family and I did just that. I got off my backside and worked hard at college so to get off benefits quicker.

I know a woman who has lived on the valley all her life. she comes from a very decent family. she has a son, grown up now, got in to drugs and her son one of the people who causes trouble in the area. he had no support growing up and was brought up in a very unsecure environment. that I would say was because of the drugs his mum was on. drugs, umemployment all adds to the trouble in the area.

I'm not surprised that you have worked hard to support your family, there are a lot of us like that! Its what we are supposed to do, yet lots of families really don't see it that way, ie...

a concentrated group of families who have never worked and not really bothered with education or stricts codes of moral conduct

Fox has worked hard for years as a volunteer on the estate where she lives which has also been labelled as a bad area. I'm sure she'll agree that not everything in Winn Gardens is rosy, but by people like her in the community working together, the area has improved enormously. If the residents had ignored the problems and done nothing, it would probably have got worse.

I'm surprised not to have had any reaction to my earlier postive post http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3155260&postcount=94

Fox has worked hard for years as a volunteer on the estate where she lives which has also been labelled as a bad area. I'm sure she'll agree that not everything in Winn Gardens is rosy, but by people like her in the community working together, the area has improved enormously. If the residents had ignored the problems and done nothing, it would probably have got worse

Thanks Ms McB :) You can't win every battle but have to see the good in people. They come in all shapes and sizes, some are willing to help and be helped some... well they're not. But working together with the liaison officers from SH and other bodies such as Futures and the Police things can improve.

The interesting thing about this for me, is that the council/police are responsible for this area just like all the other areas in Sheffield.

It's an admission of failure on THEIR part! You can't blame the entire community of Gleadless for problems across their community.

If the area has problems, why didn't/aren't the council/police doing something about it?