Handsworth and a swimming pool under Parkway?

CathS

We used to go to the swimming baths there. It was then called Bowden Homestead Woods. I notice in all my reference books I have sent me the changed name just Bowden Woods now. Never swam in it always full of rocks and debri. The old woodkeeper forgot his name was always on patrol there. I lived just on Pipworth so it was easy just to pop into the playing fields and stroll down to the woods to get Bluebells. How things change eh! HELLO to Depoix how are you.

Vera.

hi vera im fine thank you,just lost in the murky past of 40 odd years ago playing in bowden homestead woods,hot summers and long days,a den in every field and bottles of tap water with crumbs floating in them...:hihi::hihi:

Local miners built an open air swimming pool in the woods in 1926. It was fed by waters from a natural spring and surrounded by a fence comprised of old railway sleepers. Alterations to the Sheffield Parkway, with the addition of the Mosborough link in 1990, included the construction of a new roundabout on the site of the old pool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_Housteads_Woods

Local miners built an open air swimming pool in the woods in 1926. It was fed by waters from a natural spring and surrounded by a fence comprised of old railway sleepers. Alterations to the Sheffield Parkway, with the addition of the Mosborough link in 1990, included the construction of a new roundabout on the site of the old pool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_Housteads_Woods

Mr. Squirrel,

Thanks for posting that info of the woods.the picture was good too.Brings back a lot of memories it does and these are very interesting when you have been out of the country for a long time. You tend to forget until you something like this so great to share old memories thanks.

Vera.

yea mr squirrle thanks for the info even though im only 38 and was too young to see all this it stil facinates me local historys amazing dont you think

i went for a walk up there for the first time yesterday its verry derilict and full of graffiti which is a great shame but still a lovley place x

i used to live on the lower manor about 25 years ago in the summer we used to walk through bowden woods to get to handsworth i can remember the remnants of an open pool in bowden woods it was all broken in and deralict but you could still see the white tiles of the sides of the baths

i used to live on the lower manor about 25 years ago in the summer we used to walk through bowden woods to get to handsworth i can remember the remnants of an open pool in bowden woods it was all broken in and deralict but you could still see the white tiles of the sides of the baths

Walking through the woods there to get to Darnall was always great, part of the way you could get on to the stepping stones in the little creek there. Ha !you could fall off them just as easy. Finishing up with wet feet to sit in the"" little dick"" for a couple of hours. It was always lovely and peaceful down there. I think we came out near Davey United?? Coming home we could call on Poole Rd was it , to the chip shop and walk home back thru the woods again. Wow wouldn't like to think of kids doing that these days.

Bushbaby sorry you didn't see it at it's best , Oh yes it was quite a lovers lane too.

Sharon You would have loved the beautiful bluebells down there

Regards Vera.

Archived