Sheffield Ski Village

Jon

hi i am supposed to be goin to the ski village 2mw n i have never been there b4, the weather has been so hot l8ly n i was just wonderin if some1 could give me some advice on what to wear there thanks xxxx and also do u have to ring n book, i have bin skiing b4 so i do not need the lessons?? :)

hi i am supposed to be goin to the ski village 2mw n i have never been there b4, the weather has been so hot l8ly n i was just wonderin if some1 could give me some advice on what to wear there thanks xxxx and also do u have to ring n book, i have bin skiing b4 so i do not need the lessons?? :)

I beleive you can ski there without taking lessons but they won't let you board without assessing you for a bit first. Not sure why the difference, or maybe it's just they won't hire you a board without assessment.

Definitely wear long sleeves (long sleeve t-shirt will do) and gloves, long trousers would be best too, any old combats or whatever. You might get away with 3/4 length shorts or something, but not short shorts, you'd get a very nasty graze if you fell.

• 1 month later...

I learnt there before going to chamonix for my first time.

It's worth it, it means that you can actually manage to slide down a hill without dying when you get onto the real snow.

But i've not been since, I hate the dendex and the snowflex isn't much better, and it's such a small slope...

the cost for lessons is the same whether you hire one or not IFIRC, i'd never use my own board on dendex.

Scruff - once you've had some lessons, upto about level 5, i'd also recommend going to either castleford or tamworth and having a few hours on the artificial snow.

Castleford gets my vote :thumbsup:

We learnt to ski on dryslope, then had further lessons on snow.

We had boarding lessons on snow, and I really wouldn't recommend running the risk of lessons on dryslope. You spend that much time overbalancing as compared with skiing, that the risk of broken fingers and bumps and bruises is far too high.

Mr Strix caught his thumb on the hexagonal matting during his skiing lessons and we think he broke it - of course, by the time he got around to seeing anybody about it, it had begun to knit :roll:

It's a good place to learn and was the best place to go for years before Castleford and the like popped up. As others have stated - if you can ride on dryslopes it will put prepare you for when you finally get on snow. Bear in mind it can hurt like hell falling on snowflex (mainly friction burns) and dendex (friction burns, stubbed fingers, snapped bones etc. :))

I started going up there when it first opened but haven't been up much in last few years.

I learnt to snowboard in the Alps and I've bought my own board and I'm going to Xscape once a month to improve before my next snowboarding holiday in March 07 :D

Much as I'd love to support my local ski slope I just don't fancy learning on a totally different surface when there is real snow only 45 mins away.

I really hope they build Snow Mountain - I want to be able to practise more often and stay in Sheffield.

Archived