Sheffield Ski Village

Jon

It's a good place to learn and was the best place to go for years before Castleford and the like popped up. As others have stated - if you can ride on dryslopes it will put prepare you for when you finally get on snow. Bear in mind it can hurt like hell falling on snowflex (mainly friction burns) and dendex (friction burns, stubbed fingers, snapped bones etc. :))

I started going up there when it first opened but haven't been up much in last few years.

snow isn't much softer, so far i've given myself concussion twice and come close to breaking my collar bone, probably also twice.

For the snowflex, wear clothes that cover all your skin, that way burns are minimised.

snow isn't much softer, so far i've given myself concussion twice and come close to breaking my collar bone, probably also twice.

For the snowflex, wear clothes that cover all your skin, that way burns are minimised.

I've burnt through plenty of decent ski and boarding trousers over the years - most of 'em end up being held together with gaffa tape, makes 'em last much longer :hihi:

Snow is dangerous as well but I'd rather fall on snow then get my thumb jammed in dendex. Been riding on the stuff for 15 years or so and still feel like I've broken my arse every now and then :)

No, it's not much softer at all.

I bruised myself when I caught an edge on some ice and am still suffering from it now, but it was worth it!

I'd love to take up snowboarding sometime. I live pretty close to the Ski VIllage so that's be ideal. I've never stepped foot on a board though! To those that have tried/board regular, how easy would you say it is to pick up?

Is there anyone else out there who'd fancy going to a beginners course?

It's pretty straight forward, I had roughly 10 hours on a board before my first holiday, which I think made the whole experience on holiday much better.

And after the first week on real snow (and on real lifts) you are then pretty much capable of going exploring yourself in any resort, just stay off the black runs until you're a bit more experienced.

Archived