Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

If it's illegal to place blocks on the footpath, how come the Council have placed bollards across the footpath on Abbey Lane near to Bocking Lane? Well I assume it's the Council who have done it.

Because the Council are the Highway Authority and as such they can place street furniture in the Highway wherever theys see fit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received a letter from the Council today stating that as I do not have vehicular access to my own driveway and am currently breaking the law by driving across a verge to get to my own driveway. When I purchased the house, the solicitors assured me that there were no problems with access. I currently live near a bus gate and would like the kerb to be lowered to allow access the same as the tenant directly across from me. I have a sneaky feeling though that the council will deny permission and then try to fine me for parking on the verge just before the bus gate. SCC are a complete waste of space!

Its not always residents who park on the verges.try driving up buchanan road when the football is on in the park!!Single line traffic as cars are parked on both sides of the road sometimes halfway on the pavement.I know people who live on there have phoned the council and police but apparently theres nothing anybody can do (or are willing to do). There is a car park in the park itself but the park gates are locked because people driving into the car park would endanger children who are using the park, thats fair enough, but there is a large plot of land where the houses used to be, why dont they make that into a car park? How the emrgency services would manage to get down there some weekends is unbelievable.

I have received a letter from the Council today stating that as I do not have vehicular access to my own driveway and am currently breaking the law by driving across a verge to get to my own driveway. When I purchased the house, the solicitors assured me that there were no problems with access. I currently live near a bus gate and would like the kerb to be lowered to allow access the same as the tenant directly across from me. I have a sneaky feeling though that the council will deny permission and then try to fine me for parking on the verge just before the bus gate. SCC are a complete waste of space!

It appears it is your solicitors who've let you down not SCC

It appears it is your solicitors who've let you down not SCC

That may be the case, which I don't doubt. But how do I stand if I am denied the same type of access as the person across the road? Surely that would then be an SCC problem.

That may be the case, which I don't doubt. But how do I stand if I am denied the same type of access as the person across the road? Surely that would then be an SCC problem.

You're rather pre-judging the case aren't you? Have you even applied to have a dropped crossing yet?

It's not only grass verges that inconsiderate people park on. Simply parking 50/50 on a pavement with no grass is far worse. If you cannot park fully on the road with all four wheels on that road you shouldn't park there.

I don't give a rats ass if the law says you can park partially on the pavement, (I don't know whether it does or not actually) ,basic common sense is what's called for.

How about the Richard Heads who live around us. They park at least 50/50 on the pavement and the road just in case another vehicle needs to get by.

They park at least 50/50 on the pavement and the road just in case another vehicle needs to get by.

they do that where we live, hedges take up a further 20% in many places. Lets face it no-one wants their car damaged.

It has always been the case that "Without a dropped kerb access onto a driveway is illegal"

If you apply to council they may give you permission but I suspect that you will have to pay for the dropped kerb yourself. Probably best to do that before the vindictive parking people start fining you.