Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

When i was driving the other day i saw a traffic warden putting a ticket on a car that was parked on a grass verge, is this a ticketable offence.? the car wasnt on the path, and wasnt on the road, but fully on the grass and not obstructing anyone, he could have parked on the main road that didnt have any parking restrictions, so was it ticketable.? and is it ticketable parking half on the road and half on the payment.?

The grass verges around that roundabout don't have any byelaw signage, so the only reason a CEO should have for ticketing a car on the verge would be if the adjacent road has yellow lines.

There are some double yellows along some of the verges at the roundabout, but not all.

Was the car parked on a part of the verge that was alongside a yellow line? If so, they were committing a ticketable offence.

Councils can enact byelaws to make verge parking an offence, but Sheffield will not enforce such byelaws unless they are accompanied by warning signage. This they choose not to do.

Edited by cgksheff

The grass verges around that roundabout don't have any byelaw signage, so the only reason a CEO should have for ticketing a car on the verge would be if the adjacent road has yellow lines.

There are some double yellows along some of the verges at the roundabout, but not all.

Was the car parked on a part of the verge that was alongside a yellow line? If so, they were committing a ticketable offence.

Councils can enact byelaws to make verge parking an offence, but Sheffield will not enforce such byelaws unless they are accompanied by warning signage. This they choose not to do.

it was about 50yard down the road from the roundabout going towards Mexborough, there are no double yellow lines, but it was coming up to the zebra pelican crossing, so it may have been adjacent to the zig zag lines aproaching the crossing, but it was still not on them and was on the grassed area :huh:

As was alluded to by someone else, restrictions such as yellow lines or zigzags, apply to the whole highway.

The legal highway includes the tarmac, verges and footpaths.

Like I said, if there is a signed, lined or marked restriction on the road, it will still apply to you whether you are on the tarmac, verge or footpath or any combination of the three.

Now you know.:)

So they should have, the morons that think grass verges are OK to park on because they are too idle to walk 50 yards really annoy me. The council spend time making them look nice inly for some idiot to churn them up

So they should have, the morons that think grass verges are OK to park on because they are too idle to walk 50 yards really annoy me. The council spend time making them look nice inly for some idiot to churn them up

Well said..couldn't agree more,i often walk to the next village..Kiveton..and there are usually cars parked wholly on the pavement outside the local cafe ,and a large car park across the road too ???....it amazes me the amount of people who moan about getting parking tickets when they know they shouldn't have parked there in the first place..........gud enough for 'em...:hihi::hihi: