Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

If the buried services are damaged by parking, the utility companies have to pay for their own repairs. If the Council want to convert the verge to a parking bay THEY pay for the cost of protecting or diverting the services. Some verges and footways are packed with services, particularly fibre optic cables, which are horrendously expensive to move.

The utilities don't have to bury their services as deep in a verge as they would in carriageway, so there could be very substantial costs involved if the services needed to be lowered to accommodate the depth of construction necessary for a proper parking bay.

Fibre optic cables haven't been around that long, certainly they were installed long after parking on verges first became a problem. So remind me, who gave approval for the cable company to lay the fibre optic cables under grass verges in the first place? Would it have been the Council?

Half OT, Half-Relevant: I remember when there were protests going on about the veal exports, communications went down across a large part of the country because some bright spark decided to authorise digging up the verges to stop protesters camping!

If part of the £70.00 fine is used to create small lay bye's whose specification offers protection to the service pipes it will assist in solving a self created problem which as the years go by will only get worse.

Probably local inspectors could be employed working over night, to locate those who infringe the new bye law and check if the vehicles are taxed and insured along with reporting any street lighting problems.

The £70.00 penalty plus addition road taxation collected would make this public service self financing.

We need to compromise...

Some grass verges have already been laid with a concrete block matrix.

The concrete blocks can support a car or van but they contain plenty of

holes so that the grass can still grow through. They look quite neat and

tidy but perhaps they could improve them by using a green concrete

colourant during their manufacture.

read in the star that the council are going to start issuing £70 fines to anyone caught parking on grass verges . where i live 90%

of cars are parked on verges , not because we want to but because we have to .the council should provide parking bays for us not just use us as a means of revenue raising. they should realise by now that the car is not going to go away , it is here to stay.

I think its going to be very funny when they un-leash this one .

Just for a laugh we aught to all (everyone who has to park on grass) do what they want for 1 day and see the streets come to a stand still.

do it on a bin collection day :D or watch out of the window when they need to put a fire out.

If the council had brains instead of accountants ...

i dont know if this is true but iv heard that if a parked car is blocking the way of a fire engine then the fire service can smash your windows and move the car or even run a hose straight through the car if they cant shift it

We need to compromise...

Some grass verges have already been laid with a concrete block matrix.

The concrete blocks can support a car or van but they contain plenty of

holes so that the grass can still grow through. They look quite neat and

tidy but perhaps they could improve them by using a green concrete

colourant during their manufacture.

If you would care to visit my home you can see a broken sample of the concrete block which you describe. I brought it up after a visit to the Pembroke-shire Coast Path, Wales in about 1970. The National Trust make use of these blocks in a number of Car Parks these days.

Since bringing it up, I've spoken to many people about their practical use, without having much success or the slightest response. I now hold my conversations about them in a,' echo box '. At least I did get a response during the 1970s regarding dropping the kerb at access points to allow wheelchairs and prams to cross the road easier!!

I'm positive a small workshop employing those with learning disabilities. Could be created and usefully employ them in the production of these blocks along with assisting to lay them.

The feature about them that interests me is that it would be possible to lay these blocks, as repair replacements on public paths over our Peak District National Park especially where our less mobile people can use their electrical powered wheelchairs.

The over night warden service, which I mentioned, could be a start to financing the entire project followed by grant aid from various other locations.

If you would care to visit my home you can see a broken sample of the concrete block which you describe. I brought it up after a visit to the Pembroke-shire Coast Path, Wales in about 1965. The National Trust make use of these blocks in a number of Car Parks these days.

Since bringing it up, I've spoken to many people about their practical use, without having much success or the slightest response. I now hold my conversations about them in a,' echo box '.

Sheffield is using them all over.

Try a drive down East Bank Road.

Sheffield is using them all over.

Try a drive down East Bank Road.

Good. I'll stop talking to myself now!! - I sincerely hope that they will be using a lot more.

The place where I first saw them being used was at the National Trust Car Park near to St Govan's Chapel and the Green Bridge of Wales and the year was 1971.

From memory and Car owners digest: Petrol was 2 Shillings & 3 Pence a gallon (12 Pence today) and whilst we were away, actually in Devon, it actually rose to 2 Shillings and 6 Pence!!( 13 Pence today).

Owning a gas guzzler, a V.W. Camper Van. When we filled up the tank at Taunton. I told my wife that I doubted if we would ever be able to afford to visit Pembroke shire or the South West again, because of such large fuel cost!! Though I must add we have since managed to get to the North Coast of Scotland three times and go around Ireland.

If anyone walks the coast path or visits Pembroke this year, it would be helpful and interesting to know how they have worn over the past forty odd years.

Better still if anyone is netted in from those parts, perhaps they could let me know.

The car Park I refer to is situated beyond the Castle Martin tank firing range. When the Tanks are firing it is well worth a visit to the spectators view point, whilst eating a bag of chips sat in your car obtained from the local village shop.