Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

A big white van who came to do some work for the old lady next door has put a great big muddy trench through the middle of our previously nice grass verge today. Thinking of complaining to the company, reckon they will do anything about it? We're always so careful not to drive over it while parking, but it looks a right mess now :(

My `estate` of about 150 flats is one road, a cul-de-sac. The flats were originally for older people, very few of whom had cars. Now anyone can live here and car ownership has rocketed. There is hardstanding for about 30 cars max, and the rest have to park where they can, including the grass verges. It is not nice to see the grass churned up but what are people to do? I am not a car owner myself but I can see both sides of the argument.

• 4 months later...

Most of my married life I have cut the grass growing on the verge, in front of my home by the roadside, even though I know that the men from Street force will also cut it.

A few years ago this was a normal standard habit which most people did.

Would I be correct, if I thought that now fewer people did it?

From what I remember of the Cross when I lived there, the grass verges were rutted to hell by car tyres because people parked on the verges.

Im sure the council tried to encourage people to plant snowdrops and other small spring flowers in their verges back in the 90s. I wonder what came of that...?

From what I remember of the Cross when I lived there, the grass verges were rutted to hell by car tyres because people parked on the verges.

Im sure the council tried to encourage people to plant snowdrops and other small spring flowers in their verges back in the 90s. I wonder what came of that...?

The same as all the stupid PC ideas they have, right down the crapper.

Here's a good one they had, lets charge people a grand to get an easement so they can park their car off the street, that was a cracker, how much do you think it cost to keep putting the verges back because no one on council estates like the Cross could afford to get permission to build a drive:loopy:

I cut mine even after the council have been, a couple of years ago I mailed the council to ask about putting stones on the verge to stop people parking on it but was told it is not allowed and if someone damaged their car I would be liable.