Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

Hi,

Not wanting to change the subject too much, but suppose someone parked on a grass verge; and that grass verge was in pretty good condition because the council / residents cut the grass regularly; could anything be done about the parking? Is it illegal and would the police / Council issue a ticket / fine against the car?

The reason for asking is that the grass verges near us look pretty nice, but every now and again, someone parks on them, leaving a muddy mess on the grass, despite the road being plenty wide enough for parked cars and having plenty of space for them. It really winds me up.

Thanks!

A few weeks before the last local election, the then leader of the Council M/s Wilson. ( Labour ) was mentioned in the local newspaper, the Star. as roughly stating, ' That the bye laws regarding parking on the grass verge is a grey area and requires local bye laws to stop it. She added that.' A package of bye laws was to be brought before the Sheffield Council to clear this matter up. In other words, either stop it or charge a parking fee that could be used for improvements in the local neighborhood.

Since this statement, we have had a change of Council Leaders. So now it would be helpful if the Lib-Dems would clarify the present position.

Thank you.

I live on Deerlands Ave and the grass verge outside our house was not bad untill Kier arrived, they park where they want churning up the grass as they go along, at the moment they are parked outside my house but working across the road 6 houses down.

• 2 months later...

is there any truth in the council hitting grass verge parkers with fines of upto £300, rumour keeps going around our area. our cul de sac is mostly grass. theres a turning place that will accomodate 3 cars since someone had their drive off it.

weve asked for asphelt but some lame about pipes. surely these could be reinforced and what of the drives that cross them already.

the bin wagon chews the end up to point that a section was surfaced. seems we might have to park streets away. grass is just a play area for kids from miles away who ignore existing no ball game sign anyway.

At my last house, next-door's daughter used to come round to see her old man quite regularly. She always parked her 4x4 on the grass and caused a lot of unsightly damage. One day, when it was really muddy, a delivery lorry sank the grass so low that when she drove up at speed, as she usually did, she ran aground on the concrete verge and couldn't move! The wheels were spinning and every time she tried to move backwards or forwards, down the verge she went, further and further, causing more and more damage to her undercarriage. Eventually, she called one of her brothers to help shift it, and the scraping sound from underneath when he towed it onto the road was a horrendous. It was so funny, and serves her right! One of the neighbours came out and gave her a good telling off, and probably reported her to StreetForce, who came round to fix it within a week or two. I bet that cost her a bob or two!

She never parked on the verge again! ::hihi:

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but has anyone asked the council to put bollards outside their house to stop parking on the grass verge? The reason I ask is I have seen bollards outside houses where the grass verge has been ruined, I know the council say you cannot put blocks down to prevent parking but would imagine bollards are a different proposition as they are easier to see.

I know this is an old post but has anyone asked the council to put bollards outside their house to stop parking on the grass verge? The reason I ask is I have seen bollards outside houses where the grass verge has been ruined, I know the council say you cannot put blocks down to prevent parking but would imagine bollards are a different proposition as they are easier to see.

They won't usually agree to do that. Bollards are expensive.

Ask them what they can do to help 2734567

They won't usually agree to do that. Bollards are expensive.

Ask them what they can do to help 2734567

Cheers, I mailed them last year about putting white blocks down and they said if anyone complained the council would remove them then I would be charged so obviously thats a no no.