Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

My wife has spent most of the morning filling tyre tracks on the grass verge opposite our house with compost and topsoil, and grass seeded it. Hopefully, by the time the mowers are out, the new grass will have established itself. Luckily, the tyre marks were not too near the row of daff bulbs our local councillor planted a few years back.

Good for your wife - I think its great when people take care of their environment. :thumbsup: Where we used to live in Rotherham, there were streets nearby with grass verges, most were cut by the people in the nearest property, and some were planted with bulbs etc. The area looked lovely in spring and summer. Some of the houses near the RDG hospital have posts in the verges, as they were being spoiled by parking. The people who live there obviously took a pride in the area and I believe they campaigned for a deterrent to parkers, and got one.

But to some folk, the environment is secondary to having their car(s) near their door. Perhaps they didn't realise when they bought/rented their home that parking might be an issue. :confused:

I don't like seeing the grass verges churned up... but I see that on some roads (e.g. top of Stephen Hill at Crosspool) the council have installed some extremely ugly bollards to stop people parking on the verge, and they look much worse.

Ironically they have put the wooden bollards up on the section of road where people rarely parked on the verge/ road as most use the driveways, at the top of the road near the junction with Manchester Rd someone parks on the verges so much that they have caused the kerb stones to come loose and away from the verge. The council have not put the bollards there though, makes no sense.

Good for your wife - I think its great when people take care of their environment. :thumbsup: Where we used to live in Rotherham, there were streets nearby with grass verges, most were cut by the people in the nearest property, and some were planted with bulbs etc. The area looked lovely in spring and summer. Some of the houses near the RDG hospital have posts in the verges, as they were being spoiled by parking. The people who live there obviously took a pride in the area and I believe they campaigned for a deterrent to parkers, and got one.

But to some folk, the environment is secondary to having their car(s) near their door. Perhaps they didn't realise when they bought/rented their home that parking might be an issue. :confused:

Think it might be a bit too early for the seed to take. A sharp frost one night will see to it. Best bet is to wait till early to mid April and it will take a lot quicker with the warmer days and the rain.

We had some new neighbours last Autumn who parked on the verge. I politely asked them not to and in fairness they have kept off and parked on the road. Still get the corners caught by them coming off their drive and also deliveries but nothing that is irrepairable come the next month or so.

People always stare at me when I am doing work on our verge but then last year I had another neighbour come to me and ask how I managed to keep and maintain it looking so green and fine!!

For the record I don't park on the neighbours grass verges; at home I use the garage and at my parent's house I use their grass verge.

Except it isn't their grass verge is it. Chances are it's a piece of public land outside their house that they have no right to use.

If parking was so obviously going to be a major problem, why on earth did you decide to live there? :huh:

Rent a garage, build a driveway in your garden (if you have space), or find some other solution for a problem of your own making.

yes i agree,why did you choose to live there,it is an important factor when choosing where to live.

It's in todays Sheffield Star again, going to fine people £70 for parking on footpaths and grass verges, if only they would implement it. An idea I have is for people to report this thing happening because, of course they can't patrol every road in Sheffield. We will have to wait and see what happens, if it's like the last attempt by the council it will just fizzle out, but I hope not.

It's in todays Sheffield Star again, going to fine people £70 for parking on footpaths and grass verges, if only they would implement it. An idea I have is for people to report this thing happening because, of course they can't patrol every road in Sheffield. We will have to wait and see what happens, if it's like the last attempt by the council it will just fizzle out, but I hope not.

And when they do start I bet someone comes here to say they're only targeting white areas. :rolleyes: