Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

Drivers who park their cars on the pavement restrict access for pushchairs and wheelchairs. Who`s fault would it be if a pushchair or wheelchair were involved in an accident through having to go onto the road because of such an obstruction?

Grass verges aren't pavements, that why they call them grass verges.

I appreciate how difficult it must be if you do not have a drive and have to park on the road. But if the road is narrow (as in the case of some council estates) and people park each side of the road, emergency services won't be able to get through, the only alternstive is to park on the grass verge, or part of the footpath. I never leave my car on the road, if I am not driving it, it is in the garage!!!

And that is the very central point, that is not the ONLY alternative at all, it is the easiest thing to do. Other alternatives mostly include parking somewhere else further away so as to not block the pavement/road unfortunately people are lazy and expect to park right by their house.

Bury carpet gripper just below the surface of the mud or sprinkle half inch screws and rake the mud over the top ... when they get 4 flat tyres it will make them think in the future.

if you do this at night out of the site of cctv you should be ok

• 8 months later...

I wish to vehemently complain about parking on my grass verge whenever there is a home football match. For 23 years I have made every effort to maintain my grass verge. I diarise the fixtures so that I know in advance when a home match is on, I then park my car on the road and put two bags at either end of the verge to keep cars off. Once in a while cars do park and I have taken the registration number so the following vehicles:

<removed> Black estate type car.

<removed> White ford.

I would appreciate any action being taken against these motorists.

Thank you <removed> Adkins Road, S5 <removed> .

Edited by mort

June,

your diligence will stand you in good stead but you need to utilise the most effective channels and have a clear understanding of the situation, in respect of:

a) you have made a complaint to Sheffield Forum, but this needs to be directed to Sheffield City Council, and/or South Yorkshire Police (not sure if this is obstructing the highway or just damaging SCC property - probably the latter so Police not relevant). I cant find details on SCC's website but for this example from Bedford the powers will be the same etc. http://www.bedford.gov.uk/transport_and_streets/roads_highways_and_pavements/parking_on_verges.aspx

I would copy what you have written here and email it to Streets Ahead

unless you have already done this and are copying your letter onto SF.

b) you need to be clear - are you sure this is your verge? most grass verges are the property of the council, even if it is outside your house. you own what is within the deeds of your property (or landlords deeds). so you may feel you own the verge but it is most likely Sheffield City Council's. These distinctions are important in correspondence because inaccuracies or mistaken claims can serve to undermine your arguments or provide a diversion to the main point you are making. i would say "the verge outside my house" rather than "my verge".

good luck!

ps. if this is a widespread problem (and i bet it is given the location and SWFC) i would bring it up at your next community assembly meeting - there is strength in numbers and that is a forum for real action to be taken. i am guessing you are in Central area for community assembly (but might be another one) so the details are here - next meeting at end of January. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/community-assemblies/central.html

I have removed details identifying both forum users and drivers. Please note that we do not allow naming and shaming or the publishing of details on this forum. It is also not a very good idea to put details down that allow you to be identified.

Bury carpet gripper just below the surface of the mud or sprinkle half inch screws and rake the mud over the top ... when they get 4 flat tyres it will make them think in the future.

if you do this at night out of the site of cctv you should be ok

What if it happens to someone who decides a couple of weeks later to come back and smash the windows of the house next to the verge with the tacks/ gripper etc and slash the tyres of the house owners car?

If the grass verges are not too close to your houses why not consider trying to rectify the damage down by inconsiderate car owners by applying some fertiliser. Horse or cow poo will usually stick well to shoes and paintwork :) hence a more friendly deterent