Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

If parking is an issue then it's up to the local residents to lobby the council for a solution. Get in touch with a local MP or councillor and make the complaint. I don't see why in these situations the verges canot be made into paarking bays, it would cut down on future maintainence of verges. If the residents don't want that ask for raised kerbs to stop the verge being destroyed. Either way, the only way to get a solution is to contact the council. I hate to see verges churned up to a mudbath but I also hate cars blocking footpaths too. If you can't park properly then find somewhere you can even if that means walking. I know that is a tall order for some drivers, walking. I can drive but I can also walk, I sometimes think that some car drivers would like all high street shops to become drive thru so that they don't have to ever get out of the car.

At the top of Stephen Hill, a series of wooden posts have been “planted” in the verge to stop cars parking on the grass – this might be cheaper than raising the kerbs

I love the way people think they own the verge outside their house. Its not yours people, its the property of the council and common ground.

Depends where you live.

My home village in Norfolk all the property is owned up to the edge of the road, some people have verges, others fences, some hedges and a few even have brick walls. Not once have the council come round and gone, "Oi! that's our land!", although it would be amusing if they did, since the deeds disagree.

• 1 month later...
has anyone ever tried to get past a car parked over the pavement with a wheelchair?

Most London streets have a ban on parking on the pavement.

The charity Guide Dogs is calling for the ban to be extended across the country which in my opinion is a very good idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26806722

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26807402

Edited by kidneystone

Most London streets have a ban on parking on the pavement.

The charity Guide Dogs is calling for the ban to be extended across the country which in my opinion is a very good idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26806722

It would make life easier if the law on pavement parking was made clear and then enforced, as far as I know its against the law to obstruct a pavement and to drive on pavement, which means parking on the pavement potentially brakes two laws because its would be hard to park on a pavement without driving on it and causing an obstruction.

Depends where you live.

My home village in Norfolk all the property is owned up to the edge of the road, some people have verges, others fences, some hedges and a few even have brick walls. Not once have the council come round and gone, "Oi! that's our land!", although it would be amusing if they did, since the deeds disagree.

No pavements for pedestrians then?

Opposite the entrance to chesterfield royal hospital there is a layby where all the tightwads park to avoid the car parking charges. When the layby gets full they then start parking on the grass verges that surround the layby. But now the council parking wardens have started to issue tickets to these morons. But the irony is that the parking warden also parks his van on the grass verge whilst issuing the tickets !