Which Religion's Growth Would be Most Worrying?

Which religion's growth would be most worrying?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which religion's growth would be most worrying?

• Christianity
    • Islam
    • Judaism
    • Buddism
    • Hinduism
    • New Age beliefs/scientology
    • Secularism
    • Noe of the above

Is that right Purdy?

I always thought "secular" means someone who is neutral as far as religion is concerned. Secularists are neither religious or atheists and have little or no concern, thought or feelings either way?

So can I ask what secular means for you?

Secular applies to public life, governance etc. It is not a personal belief system unless that belief is simply an opposition to theocracy, as JoeP pointed out. It is not the person who is neutral, it is the state, the public decision process that is neutral to the wielding of religious power. You are one of the most guilty forummers of misusing the word 'secularism' and feeding the common ignorance/confusion.

Secular applies to public life, governance etc. It is not a personal belief system unless that belief is simply an opposition to theocracy, as JoeP pointed out. It is not the person who is neutral, it is the state, the public decision process that is neutral to the wielding of religious power. You are one of the most guilty forummers of misusing the word 'secularism' and feeding the common ignorance/confusion.

I agree with that but I would have thought secularism could apply to state and all the way down to the individual? Perhaps "worldly" as in not religious might describe it?

I was thrown when you said, "It means religion is a private individual matter" because I thought "secular" had nothing to do with religion?

I agree with that but I would have thought secularism could apply to state and all the way down to the individual? Perhaps "worldly" as in not religious might describe it?

I was thrown when you said, "It means religion is a private individual matter" because I thought "secular" had nothing to do with religion?

What do you mean 'nothing to do with religion'? Why did my statement throw you? Most religious people in this country and many others have no problem holding their personal beliefs while respecting that communal and governmental matters, discussion, decision making are not dominated, dependent on or controlled by religious doctrine.

What do you mean 'nothing to do with religion'? Why did my statement throw you? Most religious people in this country and many others have no problem holding their personal beliefs while respecting that communal and governmental matters, discussion, decision making are not dominated, dependent on or controlled by religious doctrine.

That is right. I am fully aware that the government makes decisions based on finance, foreign policy, public opinion, etc. and religion to all intents and purposes plays no part in the decision making.

I get the feeling that the churches involvement in the state is an annoying thorn in the flesh in the governments side and they would like to be shut of it as soon as possible.

I was just confused when you said "It (secularism) means religion is a private individual matter." Because for me secularism has nothing to do with religion

But hey-ho lets not worry about it shall we? :)

I was just confused when you said "It (secularism) means religion is a private individual matter." Because for me secularism has nothing to do with religion

But hey-ho lets not worry about it shall we? :)

Secularism (in most of its forms round the world) respects religion as a matter of private conscience. So secularism is 'about' religion in defining what it's role is in the private and public domain. That's what it means. I have no idea where you get the idea that it has 'nothing' to do with religion, apart from originally not understanding what the word means (as I said in my first post). Many many people who support the secular framework are themselves religious. i don't understand why this concept causes confusion, but it kind of reinforces my original point.