Ponderosa netherthorpe- what did it used to be?

slates77

All the streets mentioned were not actually on the tip they were all streets in the surrounding area.We played on the tip from the mid forties and through the fifties before the slum clearance as it was called.

We would walk from Watery Lane across what was called The hollow or as was so often called (oller) I think it was Fawsett Street up to the playground then from the playground further across the Tip play rolly polly down the hills at the top end then across the road to the two parks Weston Park and the other one with the boating lake.

That would be Crookes Valley Park.

All the streets mentioned were not actually on the tip they were all streets in the surrounding area.We played on the tip from the mid forties and through the fifties before the slum clearance as it was called.

We would walk from Watery Lane across what was called The hollow or as was so often called (oller) I think it was Fawsett Street up to the playground then from the playground further across the Tip play rolly polly down the hills at the top end then across the road to the two parks Weston Park and the other one with the boating lake.

That would be Fawcett St, by the hollow.

All the streets mentioned were not actually on the tip they were all streets in the surrounding area

All the streets mentioned were on the actual site were the Ponderosa is now. I lived at the bottom of Bromley st until the houses were demolished 1963 1964

I used to live on St Philips Road opposite the White Hart up to 1962-3 when they pulled the houses down for slum clearance - the Ponderosa was the grassy area which covered all those streets mentioned.

Had some great times on the tip - in summer sliding down the steep banks on pieces of cardboard - in winter, sledging

Here's a map of the Ponderosa from 1905

http://www.g7smy.myby.co.uk/ponderosa1905.png

As you can see, only the area that's now the football pitch was the only green space.

I think the Crookes Valley Road embankment was built to allow trams up into Walkley, not to stop flooding from the three dams.

And, the area is known as Port Mahon on the map, but the Ponderosa by everyone else. I been told it got the name from the TV show Bonanza shortly after the houses were cleared.

K.

As you can see, only the area that's now the football pitch was the only green space.

I think the Crookes Valley Road embankment was built to allow trams up into Walkley, not to stop flooding from the three dams.

And, the area is known as Port Mahon on the map, but the Ponderosa by everyone else. I been told it got the name from the TV show Bonanza shortly after the houses were cleared.

K.

fantastic map, Karl. thanks for sharing it. Just been poring over it with great anticipation, looking at the locations of my great grandparents' and my grandparents' homes on Fawcett Street and Summer Street.

K.

Thanks for the map - and as far as I know what you say about the embankment and the name "Ponderosa" is spot on.

I have asked before to no avail but as this thread is about an area very close to St Phillips Rd I wondered if anyone posting knows of anywhere there are pictures of the area around Brook Hill roundabout- particularly Sarah St-: before the slum clearances (1960).I have tried PictureSheffield and Sheffield Archives.All I have is a map.:help:

Archived