Ponderosa netherthorpe- what did it used to be?

slates77

My older relatives sed to mention the Hundred steps when talking of the Tip.I think they must have meant the steps at the top which leads to Crookes Valley Rd.I walked up them a few times in the 50's but dont know whether there is actually 100

My older relatives sed to mention the Hundred steps when talking of the Tip.I think they must have meant the steps at the top which leads to Crookes Valley Rd.I walked up them a few times in the 50's but dont know whether there is actually 100

There were not "quite" a hundred Steps there, but it's been called "'t'undred-steps" since time immemorial.

I lived in Lower Walkley in the 60's and we regulrly played there and joined in the youth club activities in the summer hols. I never heard anybody call it the ponderosa - we always called it the red rec.

Must be teh Lower Walkley name then cus for all of us kids that lived at Netherhorpe or Crookesmoor, the area where the huts were was called 'The Tip' and the green grassed area above the infirmary was called The Ponderosa.

Interesting to know if anyoen else called it the Red rec. - if I am not mistaken that was an area that kids in Coronation Street used to play in.

• 3 years later...
Can anyone tell me, when the 'slums' were demolished were all the occupants sent to the same housing estate, or spread about. A few hints where people went would be good, anyone?

The back to back houses that created the 'original' Ponderosa were demolished over a period from the mid to late 50's. The Martin street flats were then built on some of the cleared site (by Gleesons if memory serves) and the building site was a good playground. I spent ages watching them digging out for the foundations and mixing tons and tons of concrete on site

My relatives moved from Martin Street (LH side only demolished during this period) on to the newly formed Gleadless Valley and I believe they were given an option of where they could go.I think Parsons Cross was also a favourite as well.

The back to back houses that created the 'original' Ponderosa were demolished over a period from the mid to late 50's. The Martin street flats were then built on some of the cleared site (by Gleesons if memory serves) and the building site was a good playground. I spent ages watching them digging out for the foundations and mixing tons and tons of concrete on site

My relatives moved from Martin Street (LH side only demolished during this period) on to the newly formed Gleadless Valley and I believe they were given an option of where they could go.I think Parsons Cross was also a favourite as well.

My grandparents, and a lot of their neighbours went to Gleadless Valley when the Fawcett Street area was cleared.

My grand parents (on my mothers side) lived in Watery Lane until it was demolished and one of my great grandmothers lived in Martin Street. I.m sure my mum was brought up in Watery Lane and her brother played football on the tip you mentioned. My dad was brought up in Whitehouse Lane. I know my parents were living in Watery Lane when I was born sharing my grand parents house. They were rehoused to Greenhill when it was all pulled down.

Archived