Ponderosa netherthorpe- what did it used to be?

slates77

My uncle and family lived on Watery Lane from the 1930/40s until the houses were demolished and my mothers family lived on Wentworth street and Matin street in the early 1920s.

Their name is Brindley.

I realise it is a bit later but in the 1950's my mother lived at 184, Wentworth Street. Before she married she lived at 19, Powell Street. Do you know of anyone who may know her? Booth is the married name, nee Hounsley.

In actuall fact the name Ponderosa was the nickname given to the fields by the blokes who used to who used to play for the Halfpenny Pub Sunday League football team on the Kelvin Flats who used to train there in the mid 1970s.

fraid it was the Ponderosa before the kelvin was built,I lived on Meadow Street 1957-69.

fraid it was the Ponderosa before the kelvin was built,I lived on Meadow Street 1957-69.

Yes Herbie - I moved from Cross Hunt Street (covered by Ponderosa Grass but opposite White hart on St Phiilps Rd) to Addy Street/Crookesmoor Rd in '62 and it was not long after that once they had pulled all the buildings down and grassed over the area that it got the nickname 'Ponderosa' - by the mid 70's the TV prog after it was named had not been on our screens for a long time.

Archived