Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

If I had to describe him in one word, I think it would be cantankerous

If it means just paying 50p booking fee on tickets - I'll put up with his moody ways...

:)

To be fair - he was very helpful when i put on a tsunami charity bash a few year ago

Just an update; I saw builders going in and out of the place today, and work going on through the front door which was open.

The reopening of this place left derelict for so long is very welcome, even if it is only in the short/medium term in the event of the building being demolished/redeveloped.

I always said over the last 6 months that Gatecrasher could have taken the Roxy as a temporary home straight after that devastating fire, because the Roxy is so large,a nd so close to Matilda St., but I guess they were happy with the alternative course that they adopted.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, all i can say is "In your opinion."

AMG are a profit making organisation and thus will book acts that bring them money. A large percentage of people on this forum reading your e-mail will be going :huh: at the list of acts you have given. Probably the second room will cater for most of them or they'd be best off at the Ledders, Plug or Octogan. Haven't MCR just played the arena?

My only opinion about the Academy so far, is how many acts it had booked, that were on at the leadmill last year, and now have an extra £5/10 put on them.:( But the acts choose to book there and people will pay it. I just hope it's a chance for the Leadmill to regenerate rather than its demise.

Likewise I think the Reverend is an excellent choice to landmark a new venue in Sheffield. They are a semi popular mainstream band with a very loyal fanbase and are homespun so ideal for the demographic that Academy are trying to attract - regular gig goers and occasionals alike.

Guest Mod_Man

So rather than trying to cater towards everyone by having a mix of artists of slightly different genres you would prefer they only have what seem to be Emo/crap rock bands that only cater to a niche market? That doesn't seem like a good way to ensure the business' survival.

Guest Mod_Man
Sorry, all i can say is "In your opinion."

AMG are a profit making organisation and thus will book acts that bring them money. A large percentage of people on this forum reading your e-mail will be going :huh: at the list of acts you have given. Probably the second room will cater for most of them or they'd be best off at the Ledders, Plug or Octogan. Haven't MCR just played the arena?

My only opinion about the Academy so far, is how many acts it had booked, that were on at the leadmill last year, and now have an extra £5/10 put on them.:( But the acts choose to book there and people will pay it. I just hope it's a chance for the Leadmill to regenerate rather than its demise.

Yeah, what Edna says.

The lineups are dependent on the capacity of the venue and who is touring at the time and able to add a new tourdate as the venue becomes available. You can hardly call it a disgrace when they're only just opening. I'm hopeful that having a new mid-sided venue will attract a few bands that have so far avoided Sheffield because the venues we've had were too big or too small.

Frankly if they provide a better sound system than the abysmal one that is at the Leadmill then its going to be an improvement no matter who plays there.

And as Edna said, the bands you name as being 'big' are your opinion and just reveal your personal taste in music.

The only ones out of that list who are 'big in the music scene' are Lostprophets, Tool and MCR, who are too big to play at the acadamy anyway. Perhaps you should read some other music magazines instead of Kerrang! Give Uncut a whirl, its like Q, but for grown-ups.

Archived