Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

It's a pity we are not getting this http://www.myspace.com/academyintheuk

or that it's not open in time for The Cult

but it is early days...

Went to the USA to see The Cult last year...still great.

Even though I listen to the bands in the OP's original post, and would like to see many of them at the new Academy, it is rather interesting to note two of the three bands they mention.

Reverend and the Makers/Pidgeon Detectives (who the OP obviously doesn't like) are both sell outs. And the tickets went very quickly.

Whereas Good Charlotte (who, by the genre of bands in the original post, I'm guessin the OP doesn't mind) haven't yet sold out.

I can also see at least 4 on the original list that would have NO CHANCE of filling the venue.

It's a pity we are not getting this http://www.myspace.com/academyintheuk

or that it's not open in time for The Cult

but it is early days...

That's they key thing. You can't just expect bands to just turn up immediately.

I'm hoping it might mean we get more bands that currently go to the Manchester Apollo etc, maybe they'll also consider Sheffield now :)

I'm hoping it might mean we get more bands that currently go to the Manchester Apollo etc, maybe they'll also consider Sheffield now :)

Exactly! Sheffield has been a no-go zone for many bands despite it being one of the largest cities in England simply because we didn't have venues that filled the gap between something like the Leadmill or Octagon and the Arena. Hopefully that will change now.

It's a full on disgrace - the acts that are in the line up so far. No way is this going to bring any new interest to Sheffield. I have sent an email to the contacts on the Carling Academy webpage. Let me know what you think. I honestly believe my suggestions are much better.

The email sent -

Hello Daryl, Richard, Louise - and anyone else who happens to pick up, and have a read of this email. This is by no means just an insulting, boredom induced mail. Rather, I am trying to give you guys a few pointers on who to attract to your new Sheffield based Carling Academy and what really gets the public going.

What's up with the acts you've got playing at the new academy. I mean, Reverend And The Makers - that's not exactly an exciting start to the new academy is it?

And continuing with the likes of KT Tunstall and The Pigeon Detectives, I doubt this new venture is going to bring much new interest to Sheffield.

You really need to rethink and sort out which bands you're booking for the academy otherwise it's going to end up just another live music failure, like many of the other ventures that have been started here in Sheffield.

Just in case you aren't sure what's big in the music scene at the moment (which, you really should be) here is a list of suggestions of who to book.

Underoath

You Me At Six

My Chemical Romance

Taking Back Sunday

Tool

Lost Prophets

Funeral For A Friend

Avenged Sevenfold

Atreyu

Bullet For My Valentine

As I Lay Dying

Senses Fail

Paramore

People want live music, and the most attractive and interesting acts at the moment are the typical - guitar/drum based bands with style, flair and technical ability. If you can't get this right, Academy is really going to fail. I sincerely hope you take this onboard and give me, and the public some feedback on this - as it really is imperative to your success.

Please, feel free to get back to me on this suggestion. Your ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, thats the problem Carling Academy don't know the music business. They don't have a clue do they? Imagine how they have managed to run multiple venues without your knowhow. Its staggering that they've managed to stay in business so long without you

to be fair, all thats listed so far is about 7 gigs over 6 weeks, im sure AMG do intend to book a few more gigs and hopefully others will be to your taste. they can only book bands when bands are touring, and seeing as (for example) funeral for a friend were only in sheffield last month its unlikely that they will be back in april. but im sure next time they do sheffield, the academy will do their best to get them.

i worked for the academy in birmingham (that doesnt mean i have any kind of loyalty to them, they dont treat the bar staff very well) but i see the tone of your letter as a little unfair. "please play the bands that i want to see and none of that stuff that other people like, because what i say goes". the other academies usually have music to cater for all tastes, and so im sure once sheffield academy is actually open, they will too

Paramore will be at the arena in may btw

Underoath

You Me At Six

My Chemical Romance

Taking Back Sunday

Tool

Lost Prophets

Funeral For A Friend

Avenged Sevenfold

Atreyu

Bullet For My Valentine

As I Lay Dying

Senses Fail

Paramore

If those bands were announced as to be playing at the Academy, it would be a full on disgrace.

Very few of them have flair, technical ability or style.

Plus, promoters put the bands on. There's nothing to stop you hiring Underoath and putting them on somewhere.

Nooooo! I don't really like the line up they've got so far, but turning it into an emo venue? No thanks!

It should attract bands that have the capacity to fill a space bigger than the leadmill/Octagon and smaller (plus more lively) than city hall. Doesn't really matter about the genre. The more diverse the better!

With regards to the list on the original post, there's only Tool that I like, so to me you have one of the worst tastes in music I've ever seen.

We could all sit here and list a load of bands that we'd like to see play in Sheffield and slag off what somebody else thinks!

Leave the art of booking bands to the professionals my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived