Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

One of the things I do wonder lately is why is there always a group of stoned/drunk lads who have NO interest in any of the bands, shouting to each other, chanting footy songs and generally acting like tossers? At least the security chucked a few of them out last night.

no interest?

it seemed full of people who'd rather sit down than have a laugh,

it was a gig wasnt it?

I'm supposed to be there tonight but it's raining heavy and had a VERY long day at work , so just wondering whether to make the trip out or not... Anyone know what time they'll be on stage?

they were on at 9pm,played for over 2 hours,if you had a ticket and didnt go,your loss i'm afraid,i've seen James in sheff 4 times now and that was the best i've seen them,even better than the leadmill pre Whiplash tour.

ps the sound in the Academy is awesome.

I went to James at the Academy last night. It was a bit weird being back in the Roxy - brought the memories flooding back (well, those I could remember!).

We had "Balcony" tickets, and weren't sure about - didn't know if it would be seated up there or not. Turns out it's literally standing at the railings on the second floor.

Whilst it's a cracking view for those at the front, if you got there a bit later, and you're not so tall, getting a decent view would be difficult once it gets to 3-4 deep. Something to bear in mind when booking future gigs!

The bars up there were dead, and getting served was instant with all the staff they had on - no doubt they'll dropping a few shifts for future gigs!

The balcony did shake when everyone jumped at once - I hope the structual engineers have checked this out!

Cracking sound though, and overall a pretty good venue - they haven't made it too big, so it still has an intimate feel.

Agree with another poster - They should have called it the Carling Roxy Academy!

I think those lads were likely to have been my group of friends, who were; there for the music, the excitment and to have a great time. If singing songs about the Reverend, (not football songs) offends - I don't know why you bother going to gigs. I think to say "NO interest" in the bands is ridiculous, we went to see Reverend & the makers but the fact that Roots manuva played aswell was just an extra piece of brilliance and enjoyment for us - I don't think you can tell me that we're not there for the music, when we knew the majority of roots' songs, and the rest of the crowd didnt.

I feel sorry for the real Reverend fans who missed out on tickets to the likes of you, beacuse that was a truely 'great' gig, miles ahead of any Arctic Monkeys gig I've been to. Next time mate don't ****ing bother.

I happen to know the difference between footy songs and Reverend songs, but thanks for showing your ignorance. If you were one of the group, why did some of you get women complaining about you for trying to "touch them up"? Why were some of you so ****** you couldn't even stand (hence at least 2 being chucked out for this very reason), and why did a couple stand with the back to the stage singing the "BradfordCity burning" song during the Reverend set? If you were one of the group, you're not a music fan, you're a dick, but it's up to you whether you want to consider that these were your "group of friends".

So, I will bother going to gigs. And I'll be at the front singing my head off and jumping around like a loon.

I happen to know the difference between footy songs and Reverend songs, but thanks for showing your ignorance. If you were one of the group, why did some of you get women complaining about you for trying to "touch them up"? Why were some of you so ****** you couldn't even stand (hence at least 2 being chucked out for this very reason), and why did a couple stand with the back to the stage singing the "BradfordCity burning" song during the Reverend set? If you were one of the group, you're not a music fan, you're a dick, but it's up to you whether you want to consider that these were your "group of friends".

So, I will bother going to gigs. And I'll be at the front singing my head off and jumping around like a loon.

Well....none of us were singing Bradford City's burning down, and none of us got kicked out, and suprisngly none of us were accused of touching anyone up. But one of my friends did get punched for jumping around for toddla T and roots manva, so maybe your not talking about my group of friends. And the reason i was objecting to what you were saying was because i thought you were complaining about us enjoying ourselves a bit too much, which we may have been, but no1 sang in the middle of reverend. I was the first person at the front standing and singing, i was the first crowdsurfer that night and i was the first person next to reverend after the gig outside the crucible. So whether you can accuse me and or not of being a bit drunk and loud is debatable, but you cant argue that i wasnt there for the music. You said yourself you dont even like R&TM that much, I think you were likely to be talking about a different group cos we're not the sort to be singing Bradofrd is burning down or whatever, but we were chanting songs before REverend came on, and i will do tommorow when i see dead world leaders and the magi, and on saturday when i see Little man tate, and when i go to paul weller and billy bragg, and milburn , and the courteeners and leeds festival.....

i imagine your one of those who consider themselves a proper music lover, but can't look back to when you really loved music and appreciated every live act you saw. Because it's about expressing yourself, not being a mute, i enjoyed reverend and I'll continue enjoying gigs in the future - and untill you can see my reasoning - i hope people like me and my freinds **** you off more and more.

"Chavvy C**T Am I?"

Is it just me that's a bit disappointed they've not done more with the outside of the building?

Fair enough, nice sign and all that but the cladding looks shabby. Could it not have had a lick of paint? And why did no one think to remove that bloody Dalton Roofing plaque?

I've not been to a gig there yet so can't comment on the interior but the positive comments in this thread bode well.

After visiting the Manchester Carling a couple of years ago and being charged £6.00 a pint of bitter I was not impressed at all its a disgrace that they are allowed to do this:rant:

I went to Manchester Academy last saturday to see Down, and it was £2.90 a pint - cheaper than t'Corp.

Archived