Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

The main issue with the City hall sounding sh*t is that they spent X million pounds on refurbing it and didn't consult a single acoustic proffessional, that's why it sounds crap never mind the seating situation ruining the atmosphere.

On the plus side though you can now take your drinks in.

I'm pretty sure the Academy will be going ahead, talks are pretty advanced and its a big building/ eyesore the council will be bending overbackwards to get someone to do something with.

Lets just hope they do it properly, and make sure it sounds right.

Do you have inside info on this claim (about the acoustic situation) ??

How come you were inside the ROXY?

I wondered in out of curiosity when it was that wierd Church place a few years ago..they had zero security and I checked out the entire building including the closed off upper levels..it was a real pit then so God knows how bad it is now inside.....bare wires hanging out of walls, most of it stripped, smelt of decay and serious damp.....

i have also seen inside it fairly recently, and doubt there is anyone who would be prepared to invest enough to get it back to its former glory.

And lets face it its an absolute eyesore of poor quality late 60's bland architecture.......it wont be missed........I think I preferred the old town hall egg box extension in terms of its architectural merit....

Now if they build a new and modern exciting structure that would be good....because in my book the cost of restoration of that cavernous flea pit would be more than the cost of a brand new structure!

Seen inside ROXY.some time ago..it was totally derelict.....it would take millions to make it safe to re-open. I cannot envision this place open again, it must be coming down soon. All the adjacent buildings are due for demolition, ODEON cinema complex included as that is closing down soon...

Well they wouldn't have applied for consent for it to be a live music venue if it wasn't viable surely?

And don't worry about the millions - Academy seem to run half the live music scene in this country so I'm sure they have access to them :)

And don't worry about the millions - Academy seem to run half the live music scene in this country so I'm sure they have access to them :)

Its a shocking cartel - the Academy runs a chain of venues - used by the big promotions companies - who all have shares in the Academy chain...

I'd love to see it re-open, with the existing exterior as it is. It's a great piece of brutal 60s design, I love it. Along with the electricity substation at the end of Ecclesall Road it's the best looking building in Sheffield.

Archived