Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

too right, i don't think it will tread on the leadmill or plug because it will be attracting bands that need a bigger venue but aren't arena bands

not my thing really, but my girlfriend was after going to see arcade fire & interpol recently, neither of which are stopping at sheffield as there's nowhere suitable

it's a shame with the size of the city, and the music scene at the moment that we can't attract big shows

well done academy :-)

this is good news for sheffield- am sick of having to go to manchester for gigs.

Sheffield has always missed out of the bigger standing venue type bands due to the catalogue of mis-haps with the Octagon. The story goes that it was originally designed for 2000+ capacity - but the Union ran out of cash - got bailed out by the Univ who took it over - and somewhere down the line not enough toilets were built (so 1500 capacity) and the roof was too low to take "flying" lighting rigs. So it was never used to its full potential. I understand now that the Uni uses it for lectures mid week - so theres are even less gigs there than there used to be.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of acts do come by Sheffield - it was always recieved wisdom that many mid sized/bigger tours didnt do Nottingham + Leeds + Manchester + Sheffield due to the overlap in crowd - though I was always abit dubious of that - if you're into a band enough to travel - you'll probably go & see them more than once on a tour anyway.

As everyone says - I think it'll be the 600 venue that'll really cause the problems for the other venues in Sheffield - especially given the close relationship of the promotions companies with the Academy group.

BTW I'd be very surprised if it had low bar prices...

Mr Northcote, who plans to open Sheffield with three major local bands playing on three consecutive Fridays, added: "Sheffield, Leeds and Brighton are major locations for live music and all will have secondary rooms to continue AMG's strategy for allowing new and emerging acts to play in quality venues."

I wonder who the 3 local bands will be.... Arctic Monkeys surely... Reverend and the Makers maybe... Jarvis?... Pulp reformed for a special one off gig?....

I think its great news, there are many acts Sheffield misses out on.....I know because Ive had to travel to Manchester on many occasions too!

I think the 600 capacity room may provide competition....but I think the other venues are so well established that some bands may want to play there. I mean its prob closest to the leadmill in size, but the leadmill is so well known that I reckon people will want to play there by choice.

And I think its brill that the roxy building will be put to some use!

And saw KT Tunstall recently and she was amazing.....definately worth going to see!

PS why cant you post mutiple threads? just wondered, not getting at anyone!

Archived