Carling Academy Sheffield

Janette1169

yeah, you should be quids-in... especially if they get some 'proper rock' bands on

i wouldn't worry about the competition with the smaller room... south yorks is big enough to support four medium-sized venues (leadmill, octagon, plug, roy-disco) it has done before, and with the variety of different types of music around at the moment it can only be a good thing

Do you have inside info on this claim (about the acoustic situation) ??

Well yes, but the refurb contract and tender documents are all public documents so anyone can see that there is a huge gap in info about the acoustic spec. If you want a place to sound right it is the starting point of any refurb, but doesn't get a mention for the City Hall.

Oh and Goldenfleece Quote:

i have also seen inside it fairly recently, and doubt there is anyone who would be prepared to invest enough to get it back to its former glory.

And lets face it its an absolute eyesore of poor quality late 60's bland architecture.......it wont be missed........I think I preferred the old town hall egg box extension in terms of its architectural merit....

Now if they build a new and modern exciting structure that would be good....because in my book the cost of restoration of that cavernous flea pit would be more than the cost of a brand new structure!

Its happening Girl, you can't fight it.

The look of the venue was a big selling point for the Academy. They like the retro feel.

If you'd been inside since the God Squad were there how come you didn't mention all the God graffiti on every inch of white wall? That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen, and the scariest.

Tess

i heard it was to be the new Gatecrasher, so was that just rumor after all?

Certainly was....

I wouldn't be so sure redin.

Wouldn't it make sense for the pair of them to work together???

If anybody wants to take a bet about who will be runing the 'nightclub' nights on a Friday and Saturday after the bands have been on ;o).............

Perfect little stop gap for the Gatecrasher boys till S1 1DJ gets rebuilt.

The look of the venue was a big selling point for the Academy. They like the retro feel.If you'd been inside since the God Squad were there how come you didn't mention all the God graffiti on every inch of white wall? That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen, and the scariest.

retro is right....to me though its a retro from the wrong period, representing the nadir of commercial building design....now if it was built 15 years earlier than it was, it would have been utterly different and of an attractive architecture period.

yes the graffiti, forgot about that....I just put it down to vandalism actually didn't bother reading the stuff....

But I suppose its worth some preservation, even if just to show future generations that all architects were dick heads during this period.....

Archived