Belly/Egyptian dancing

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I will be starting up 2 brand new Belly Dance classes in Hilslborough in January; Tuesday evenings from Jan 10th at Hillsboro Leisure Centre, 7pm-8pm (free to Fitness Unlimited members) and Thursday evenings from Jan 12th at the Memorial Hall on the corner of Forbes Road/Walkley lane (easy to reach by tram!), also 7-8pm. As they are new classes I will be starting completely from scratch with technique, so all welcome. You don't have to bear your belly, just wear whats comfortable, although most find that a long full skirt and a scarf to tie around their hips makes them feel more 'the part'.

The main reason I am teaching these classes is because I want to share this wonderful dance and all the benefits it has brought me (fitness and flexibility, confidence, friendship, real pleasure) - I know that sounds soooooo cheesy but its true!

Cheers

Cis

yep, you can learn to bellydance in Sheffield, also in Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Bradford, Tankersley.... I could go on!

When I first started learning I was quite amazed when I found out just how many bellydancers there were in Yorkshire (never mind the whole country)!

You also have a choice of classes (and styles) within Sheffield - I am starting new classes as mentioned above - but there is also Konnie, who teaches at 'The Max' fitness centre on Bole Hill Road, Walkley as well as numerous other places (I can't keep track of them all but I think Firvale might figure in there!) - she teaches 'traditional' Arabic dance (or Bellydance, as do I).

Then theres the Boomshanka Tribal Bellydancers - Tribal is a different style with influences taken from African, Flamenco, Indian dance etc. - they tend to use quite modern or crossover type music - they meet on Thursday evenings at the Sharrow Community Hall, by the Sheffield United ground.

At the Woodhouse worksout theres Lynne, who teaches both 'traditional' and a bit of tribal - not sure what days though.

I think theres also Stella at the Upperthorpe Healthy Living centre on Wednesdays, but not sure what that is like, and I heard there was also a class at the Polish club on Ecclesall road - again, no idea what that is like - feedback on either of these 2 welcome!!

Cheers

Cis

Archived