Belly/Egyptian dancing

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
There's one associated with THE MAX gym which is on Bole Hill Road. It's at the old Bole Hill School, part nursery with a gym and other businesses all around. I know the Belly dancing is on Saturday mornings, around half 11. If you want more info, let me know and I'll get it.

Chloé

I would love to know where and when belly dancing classes take place.I would like to learn some more, I was taking classes for 3 months in Newcastle,I have recently move to Sheffield and I like to continue learn belly dancing.That location is convenient for me.Could you tell me any place where i can take belly dancing clases,please?

I teach Bellydance in Hillsboro, at the Leisure Centre on Penistone Road on Tuesdays, 7pm and at the Memorial Hall (bottom of Walkley Lane, behind the Deep End) on Thursdays 7.10 pm (ish) - pm me for more info (we are on easter Break next week but will be back the week after).

There are also classes at Crookesmoor Community centre on Thursdays with Liane, at City Limits dance centre on Penistone Road, Mondays and Thursdays, at The Max Fitness centre in Walkley on Mondays Wednesdays and Saturdays (I think, this info may be out of date) and Konnie who teaches there does various other classes around Sheffield, also Lynne at Woodhouse Workout (I think Tuesdays, but again not totally sure) and Boomshanka Tribal at the Hartley Street project Heeley - although their classes are currently full, but you can go on the waiting list.

Who did you do classes with in Newcastle? I know Kay Taylor who teaches up there, she is great!

Cheers

Cis

its lots of fun - glad you are enjoying it!

Just a reminder that my Thursday classes at the Memorial Hall are now back after the Easter break, so if anyone wants to give it a go, come on down!

pm me for details, I should be checking into the Forum pretty regularly at the moment.

Hi cis h im wanting to start belly dancing asap n noticed u do a class on thurs for beginners? is this correct? could u please email me more info on how 2 go about joining ur class i think a few ppl i know go to your class n have recommended u. my email is mazhinch81@hotmail.com.

look forward to hearing from u soon

Maz h

Glad to hear that I come recommended!

Thought I would put some details about the class on here so everyone can see - Maz, I will drop you an email (later when I am not at work) with directions to the venue, anyone else who needs directions, just pm me to let me know

The Thursday class is at the Memorial Hall, on Forbes Road/bottom of Walkley Lane, behind the Deep End at Hillsboro. Technically it runs 7-8pm, but in practise it is more like 7.10-8.10, as we give the Badminton club before us a bit of time to clear up. Classes cost £5 for a 'one off' or £4 if you book a block of 6. There is no need to book in advance, you can just turn up on the night and it is not a course, so you can start at any time.

The class is 'Open Level' which means suitable for different levels of experience - I have quite a few complete beginners and a few who have been coming for over a year and all sorts in between. I teach the basics of the moves then add more complicated variations for the experienced dancers and everyone can work at the level at which they are happy - I try and give everyone a bit of personal attention and feedback during the class too. We tend to revisit moves every few lessons, so you can build on technique - or if you have just started you will always get to pick up the basics within a few lessons.

As well as learning moves I also teach choreographies so you can put them into practise within a dance routine, make time for groups of students to put together their own combinations of moves and to improvise freely.

Although generally this is a fairly low impact form of excersise, you can find yourself working quite hard in a class - and one of the main aims is to have fun (have a giggle while you wiggle - cheesy, I know!).

What to wear is entirely up to you and what you are comfortable in, I prefer bare feet, but soft shoes are fine. A lot of dancers like to wear long full skirts and hip scarves, but there are also plenty who stick to leggings/tracksuits and T Shirts. Getting your belly out is optional.

Hope this is all useful info and I look forward to seeing you in class!

Archived