Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

Harleyman

I attended Gregg School in 1961 just before they went skint. Yes Mr Rankin was a lovely teacher. He gave me 6 of the best for getting my French homework wrong.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 08:14 ----------

I went to Greggs 5 years after you in 1961 and often wondered why Mr Rankin spent so much time in the staff room alone with Miss Wragg. She went from being a pupil to a teacher. We used to go cross country running at Foxhouse and Mr Arnold would go in the pub there. Not the best of schools but I was as happy there as anyone could be who hated school as much as I did

Although you were there some years after me ( I left in '57 ) obviously things hadn't changed much and my sentiments were the same as yours!!:D The cross country used to start at The Surprise and then down through the countryside at Hathersage, One of the girls in our class lived in the Pub down the hill I remember. We had the swimming gala once at the open air pool that was behind a big pub on the Bamford to Castleton road, and I remember the football matches we had against Hull both there and at the City Surveyors ground in Heeley.

Although you were there some years after me ( I left in '57 ) obviously things hadn't changed much and my sentiments were the same as yours!!:D The cross country used to start at The Surprise and then down through the countryside at Hathersage, One of the girls in our class lived in the Pub down the hill I remember. We had the swimming gala once at the open air pool that was behind a big pub on the Bamford to Castleton road, and I remember the football matches we had against Hull both there and at the City Surveyors ground in Heeley.

The swimming gala was at the open air swimming pool in Hathersage when I was at Greggs(which when I passed through 3/4 years ago was still there.The cross country run was from the Surprise thyough to Grindleford as I recall and I well remember swimming across the river as a celebration at the end of the run.

• 5 months later...

Hello all you old Greggonians!! It is within a few days of my 50th anniversary of leaving. I was there from 1959 to 1964! I was also at the re union in 1999, with Mr. Stuart Rankin as guest of honour. I am partially retired, and have been intrigued by the stories on this site. Somewhat surprised too by many of the misspellings. I did become an A level examiner for the old JMB also known as the Northern Universities !! However I too have some problems with spelling, and having started the sentence with a conjunction, grammar can sometimes be challenging!!

I celebrated the 50th anniversary of my starting school in 2002 by raising a glass of wine in Fiji. Unfortunately the 50th anniversary of leaving will be in Sheffield, but at least it looks like being warm. So here is to you all-hope you all enjoy your summer !!

• 2 months later...
I remember Mrs. Thompson but I had a different experience to yours re her teaching, I always thought that she was ok and a fair teacher. I think she was in Keats House (blue badge). Also, I think that I remember Mr. Green and I seem to remember he took us for commerce (I was in a RSA class). I seem to remember that he once told us that he won a competition for making up a sales slogan for Sharps toffee makers which was "Sharps the word for Toffee", I don't know if it was true or not. Do you remember a Mr. Powers an Irish english teacher and Mr. Mann the sports teacher. I was at the G/S when King George 6th died and tricky Dicky organised a school day trip down to London to watch the Kings funeral. First time I'd been to London and it's something I will never forget. I lived in Ecclesfield village which as you know was close on to Parsons Cross.

You lived in Ecclesfield. Does the name Barry Moss ring a bell. I think he was head boy at Greggs along with Betty Roper who was head girl. The

Mosses had a grocery shop near the church. I remember Powers, Sutherland, Shanks, Rankin, Arnold of course and a Mr Smith a bald headed shriveled up little guy who had a game leg and talked about Cyprus a lot. He took us for art. Mr Green was a character who strode across the class room in something resembling a goose step and then there was the gorgeous young teacher Sylvia Watson, she of the cascading blond hair and tight sweaters

My dad took my sister and I to London when the Festival of Britain was on in 1951 and that first visit was something I'll always remember also. The Tube and the escalators were wonders to me.

I left in 1954 when we moved down to Sussex. Not something I was thrilled about at the time. Sussex was too much of a change from Sheffield for me.

My Uncle was Raymond Hillpig Smythe, who, despite what it says in wikipedia, was a student at Gregg. This was pre war, I realise its a long shot but does anyone remember him?

I met Raymond Hillpig Smythe. He was featured in a documentary film narrated by the actor Ray Winstone. He is an honored man in parts of Myanmar and Laos.

I believe he passed away quite recently so he must have been a very old man.

• 1 month later...
Hello, I am Muriel, so good to read all these names, a real blast from the past. Best wishes to all.

Hi Murial do you know what happened to April Anson?

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 21:01 ----------

Was the English teacher Mr Humphries whose wife also taught there? And can you remember the name of the teacher(maths I believe) who had a terrible time in our class at least. He wore blue suits and had black boots as I recall, and no discipline and was assaulted by one of the pupils one day. He was a nice man but unsuited to our age group. I notice Roger Sherwood retired the other day if you remember him.

Was it Mr Shanks who taught maths and wore black boots his son Gavin was also teaching at some point.

I remember Roger Sherwood, he plays golf at Chatsworth. I was in the same class as him along with Christine Hoyland, Susan Harrison, David Alcott, Tony Kershaw, Malcolm Bowskill and more.

Does anyone know if David White is still working as he will be in his 70s now?

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 21:12 ----------

I remember Barbara, small and dark hair, lived in Stockbridge but don't know what happened to her. Seem to think she would be younger than you !!!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Murial do you know what happened to April Anson?

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 21:01 ----------

Was it Mr Shanks who taught maths and wore black boots his son Gavin was also teaching at some point.

I remember Roger Sherwood, he plays golf at Chatsworth. I was in the same class as him along with Christine Hoyland, Susan Harrison, David Alcott, Tony Kershaw, Malcolm Bowskill and more.

Does anyone know if David White is still working as he will be in his 70s now?

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 21:12 ----------

I remember Barbara, small and dark hair, lived in Stockbridge but don't know what happened to her. Seem to think she would be younger than you !!!

I am a new member and don't really know what I'm doing? If anyone still goes onto this site can you tell me why real names are not used?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Good to get a reply. I bet you and I could add a few more stories. I palled up with Margaret Hall in the last 2 years and before that I was friendly with Susan Harrison (who incidentally lost her life a lot of years ago). Have you kept in touch with anyone? Margaret lives not far from me at Norton, Sheffield but I haven't seen her for some time while I am living in Dronfield Woodhouse.

However, have a good Christmas and best wishes for 2015.

Maybe we could catch up with other stories in the New Year.