Anyone Remember the old 2 1/2p Piece?

_BLADESMAN_

My old favourite was the brass 12 sided threepenny bit ... They went out of circulation when slot machines came along. Won't roll you see.

They won't roll, but lots of machines accepted them, and for a while in the mid- to late 1960s they could be used in phone boxes.

are sixpences worth anything nowadays as i have an old john player special tin full of them, there must be about 300

Find out what they are worth and I will buy them from you. I have an old prewar one armed bandit that takes the things. I can always make use of a few.

I don't need rare dates or anything like that. Up to 1922 I think they were silver.

Find out what they are worth and I will buy them from you.

Most post-war sixpences are not worth much; certain ones in very good condition can be worth more. This eBay lot comprises 80+ KGVI and QEII sixpences; its final price may be a useful guide: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lot-of-80-SIXPENCES-ELIZABETH-II-GEORGE-VI_W0QQitemZ280213314678QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3399QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ..Or just look around on eBay under "Coins > Collections/Bulk lots".

• 2 weeks later...

ive still got some sixpences. also old pennies,threepenny bits including a silver one. a two bob bit and a half crown. Ive also got a couple of farthings. ive got some of the half pences from when we went decimal. They didnt last long did they?

• 2 years later...
ive still got some sixpences. also old pennies,threepenny bits including a silver one. a two bob bit and a half crown. Ive also got a couple of farthings. ive got some of the half pences from when we went decimal. They didnt last long did they?

hiya just come across this site i think the ones writing about the 2 1/2 pence piece were remembering the 5p piece. now that continued after decimalisation it was the old 12 pence d shilling.in fact in 1950/52 i used a 1/4 penny piece legally, how i bought a small loaf ,it was 1" x 2" and it was 3/4 d or 1 1/4 d this was at a bakery at hunters bar on the corner opposite the school, and i never ever saw threepenny bits used on machines.

hiya just come across this site i think the ones writing about the 2 1/2 pence piece were remembering the 5p piece. now that continued after decimalisation it was the old 12 pence d shilling.

No, we definitely used to use old sixpences for 2.5p, just as old shillings were made into 5p and two bob bits were made into 10p.

No, we definitely used to use old sixpences for 2.5p, just as old shillings were made into 5p and two bob bits were made into 10p.

the last general issue sixpence was issued in 1967 and a special proof version struck for inclusion in the farewell proof set of 1970. However, sixpences, shillings and florins continued to be legal tender at values of 2½, 5 and 10 new pence respectively

[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixpence_(British_coin)

Archived