Anyone Remember the old 2 1/2p Piece?

_BLADESMAN_

My other arf and everyone around the same age as us are trying to send me nuts. They laughed when I asked the question.

"Ya nutter, was never such thing. 2 1/2p coin? Ya mad"

I remember it back in the 70s and have read 1 post on this forum where it mentions it so I know it existed.

Anyone else?

Would be good to see a pic if anyone could direct me to one.

I not only remember the old "tanner" but also the small silver threepenny bit - quite a few were still in circulation in the 40's.

• 1 year later...

I used to get 2 1/2p. from the tooth fairy - and it's what the old parking meters used to take. I remember one morning, unexpectedly the tooth fairy left me 5p. Later we went down town and my Dad asked my Mum if she had any sixpences for the parking, and she said "I told you earlier I didn't" And that's how I learnt about the tooth fairy!!!!!

PS just googled it, and it was apparently 1971 that the viscious old (*insert anglo-saxon phrase of choice here*) stole the milk from the mouths of the kiddies.
She wasn't vicious in my opinion, no one wanted that horrible milk anyway. Frozen in Winter and sour in Summer, we used to tip it away whenever we could without the teacher seeing us. :)

She had the choice of the millk or the libraries, iirc, at the time she made the right choice.

I had a charm bracelet of old silver sixpences as a child, no idea what happened to it though. The one that became the 2.1/2d was a later version, not real silver. Like the hapenny, prices went up when that was phased out too.

She wasn't vicious in my opinion, no one wanted that horrible milk anyway. Frozen in Winter and sour in Summer, we used to tip it away whenever we could without the teacher seeing us. :)

She had the choice of the millk or the libraries, iirc, at the time she made the right choice.

I had a charm bracelet of old silver sixpences as a child, no idea what happened to it though. The one that became the 2.1/2d was a later version, not real silver. Like the hapenny, prices went up when that was phased out too.

I had a metal tube, which looked like a lipstick tube with a slit near the top. You put sixpences into it until it was full and then the top popped off. A sort of money box for tanners I suppose.

I had a metal tube, which looked like a lipstick tube with a slit near the top. You put sixpences into it until it was full and then the top popped off. A sort of money box for tanners I suppose.

hiya i remember in 1957 a pint of tetleys mild was two tanners and one penny a pint of best was two tanners and three pennies, a single whiskey was half a crown five tanners and a packet of ten woodbines were about three tanners. i remember my dad telling me in around 1930 you could buy a suit from a tailors in town for two pounds ten shillings with a pair of shoes thrown i

the tailors were the fifty bob shop.

Archived