Anyone Remember the old 2 1/2p Piece?

_BLADESMAN_

hiya i remember in 1957 a pint of tetleys mild was two tanners and one penny a pint of best was two tanners and three pennies, a single whiskey was half a crown five tanners and a packet of ten woodbines were about three tanners. i remember my dad telling me in around 1930 you could buy a suit from a tailors in town for two pounds ten shillings with a pair of shoes thrown i

the tailors were the fifty bob shop.

I think the shop was Burtons.

My other arf and everyone around the same age as us are trying to send me nuts. They laughed when I asked the question.

"Ya nutter, was never such thing. 2 1/2p coin? Ya mad"

I remember it back in the 70s and have read 1 post on this forum where it mentions it so I know it existed.

Anyone else?

Would be good to see a pic if anyone could direct me to one.

I have two three pence pieces, one is dated 1892 and is silver and one is dated 1910, the first is Queen Victoria and the other is Edward but difficult to see which one because it is worn. Both are worth more than their face value.

I also have some silver Florins, that might make some people wonder ?.

I think the shop was Burtons.

hiya, no i do remember it was called the fifty shilling tailors it was not burtons.

ps do you remember the shop burtons at the top of dixon lane the fifty shilling taylors was on the other side at the bottom of king st, it is hardley likely thney would have two shops so close together, i was talking about when woolworths had their shop opposide king st.

I'm talking 1972/3, I can't remember exactly the year Maggie Thatcher, the milk-snatcher stole the milk from schoolchildren, but I'd take a tanner a week (IIRC) to school, and that covered the cost of the snack of the milk and the biscuit.

PS just googled it, and it was apparently 1971 that the viscious old (*insert anglo-saxon phrase of choice here*) stole the milk from the mouths of the kiddies.

hiya i can go back to 1948 ,i had school meals all through my school days, the meals were 5d per day then later 4/5 years it was 7d, this was for a dinner and a pudding, i remember only once being served boiled fish with white sauce and the ammount wasted we never had it again.

My other arf and everyone around the same age as us are trying to send me nuts. They laughed when I asked the question.

"Ya nutter, was never such thing. 2 1/2p coin? Ya mad"

I remember it back in the 70s and have read 1 post on this forum where it mentions it so I know it existed.

Anyone else?

Would be good to see a pic if anyone could direct me to one.

hiya i remember decimalisation starting there was a shillling piece that was used as a five pence piece alongside it, was the new five pence piece likewise a two shilling alongside the new 10 pence piece but i don't remember a 2 1/2 pence piece and the sixpence was withdrawn to make way for the 2,1,1/2 pence pieces, i remember the older ones playing penny knock at dominoes getting their conversion cards out when they were paying out.

I remember being a nipper in Crookes lived on Bannon Street, used to get me pocket money & straight to spice shop (I think I got a bob, 5p to you young uns). But the best bit was putting the change in me pockets, pennies & jangling them as I went down road scoffing black jacks.

I don't care what anyone says cannot beat the old money in my eyes, but we have to move on it's progress & it's 40 years since decimalisation 1st coming in. We've still got a box with half crowns in it, bobs, tanners, 3d bits & others, never get rid of em.

Like many people have said I used to get a silver 6d from the tooth fairy. Mydaughter used to get 50p and one day she came home from school clutching a tooth, she showed it me I said let me see where it came from,the reply was "Oh it's not mine it's Brendan's I told him I got 50p from the tooth fairy and he only gets 20p so I'm putting it under my pillow for him". I had to put it there to keep her faith in the tooth fairy.

When I got married, my mum gave me a silver 6d for my shoe. I had never heard the last line of that rhyme so was quite surprised, not only had she found me a 6d she got one with my year of birth on 1958 and it is in the drawer of my bedside table now.

Archived