Anyone Remember the old 2 1/2p Piece?

_BLADESMAN_

hiya the fifty shilling tailors was called the fifty bob shop, it was situated as near as dammit at the bottom of king st and haymarket

ps i was talking about the 1930s not 1903. it was 50 shilling not 55 shillings some 30years before

Like many people have said I used to get a silver 6d from the tooth fairy. Mydaughter used to get 50p and one day she came home from school clutching a tooth, she showed it me I said let me see where it came from,the reply was "Oh it's not mine it's Brendan's I told him I got 50p from the tooth fairy and he only gets 20p so I'm putting it under my pillow for him". I had to put it there to keep her faith in the tooth fairy.

When I got married, my mum gave me a silver 6d for my shoe. I had never heard the last line of that rhyme so was quite surprised, not only had she found me a 6d she got one with my year of birth on 1958 and it is in the drawer of my bedside table now.

Curriechick I remember the old 6d from the tooth fairy, with inflation I think it now stands at about £54.00 lol. The story from your daughter is an absolute belter, it's just the things kids say/used to say.

Haha! My last memory of that coin was catching the bus from Grenoside to Foxhill.(got to be late 70s/early 80s) I gave it the driver and he said 'tha can't used that' I said 'why not?' He said,'coz it ceased being legal tender tuther month' The b+++++d wouldn't let me on(i had no more money) I had to walk home (not too far) but i dint aif bomb it past Grenoside nut-house.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived