Obituary I wrote for my brother, Sheffco

hazel

I would like to talk to you about my brother John……

John was no angel in life so I suppose he will be no angel in death. Not for John the higher accolades of after life just John being John.

He never did get promotion, even in the Army-- he served for 12 yrs going in as a gunner and I think coming out with the same status. he must have been the most highly educated Gunner there was. I would have thought that this lack of rank wasn’t an easy achievement ,even for John,, but nothing John did was easy. Just John being John.

I remember John as a child always asking questions non stop, his thin legs in big boots bought for him by Great Uncle Johnny, his hair combed and wet down always sticking up at the back.

John was a clever child His infant teacher of that time saying-- John could be Prime Minister of England if John wanted to.

I took him to school and he knew the way better than me and he being 4/ 5 yrs younger,

I saw him off on the train when he joined the army at 18 without our Mom and Dad knowing and I had to explain, why there was no John at home when they returned from holiday.

I made sure he got to his wedding to Pat on time, taking the pins out of his new shirt in the back of the car as we sped to town for the ceremony.

I went to visit him in Anglesey when his son Paul was born, where he was in charge of tracking the latest defence weapon of the army, it was called the Blue Streak and never seemed to work, . Was it just John being John ?.

He turned up on my doorstep all the way from Algeria with his second son Colin in his arms and 2 nappies-- nothing else.

I have followed him through life trying to put the pieces together when his life kept falling apart--as John being John--- it often did... His lifestyle taking it’s toll, he would arrive on my doorstep again and again ---- just John being John

To my sons he was a hero coming to see them bearing gifts, arrow heads, fossils found in far off places,

He worked hard he played hard.

To me he was my brother---- just John being John,

I will miss him.

hazel

John wrote on S. Forum as Sheffco.

I remember you posting on another thread at the time of his passing where you posted a link to his website which family were maintaining ..but sadly the link didn't work!

I can't find it now but I'm sure many of the earlier members of the Sheffield Forum will remember him as he was a regular poster in the early days.

My deepest sympathies to you, your family and his friends.

Thank you for your replies, your sympathy, your empathy.

John took a lot of stick on the forum, very often deserved.

He was a seismic engineer-- which seems quite fitting that I should print this today, the morning of the earthquake,--

Was it John just being John

---and had worked in all the places he spoke about, his dependancy on whiskey finally catching up with him, he died at few weeks ago.

hazel

Archived