Wagamama coming to Sheff

RubyTuesday

I would not bother if I was you. Just to up to East One. You will have a far better meal, not have swarms of staff around you when you don't want them and none when you do.

Should be cheaper as well.

East One is similar in concept, but I always find the food very bland.

I suppose I could add my review as well, we went a few weeks ago, at a non peak time.

Service was good, food came quickly, bill was correct and the staff were all fine (except one who wandered off when I asked him to get the bill instead of going to get it).

Food was fine, ordered too much as we normally end up doing, the mains are so large that you don't really need sides. Not the most amazing food in the world, but for <£20 for two of us it was pretty reasonable. I think I had chicken noodles of some sort, and there was plenty of chicken in it.

I'm looking forward to the sushi place though, I'd choose sushi over noodles anyday.

Review in the paper today: Chopstick-y issues…

:rolleyes:

I think food reviews in The Star is quite bad, but this one is not the best either! I'd prefer reviews from The Observer. At least the writer pays tribute to the origin of the food, and knows what he is writing about.

I went in there eventually to try out the place with my cousin, and we definitely thought that the waiting staff rushed us, and I know that it's a very small place, and they wish to get in as many people as possible, but still. From beginning to end, we were hardly there for more than 1.5 hrs, and it took the food 30 minutes and more to arrive. How can the staff expect us to gobble the food without chit chats? :hihi:

I don't know if Wagamama is ready for Sheffield yet, since we don't have a high number of people coming and going like some places in London. Other than the rushing, the food was okay, but not the best I've tried. Decor is okay. Similar to all the other Wagamamas. It's a very small place though.

If the star food critic is still Martin Dawes then he only likes about half a dozen restaurants in Sheffield. He has very little understanding of food tastes and wants all foreign food anglesising (if that is a word).

The stupid thing is he can make or break a business, especially a new one finding its feet.

It must be pretty annoying when the Star rep. has been selling you a boat load of advertising to get a put down by the critic.

Its a hard world out there if you don't have anything good to say, then keep quiet.

Constructive criticism is good. New bars and restaurants need support, not knocking all the time

If the star food critic is still Martin Dawes then he only likes about half a dozen restaurants in Sheffield. He has very little understanding of food tastes and wants all foreign food anglesising (if that is a word).

The stupid thing is he can make or break a business, especially a new one finding its feet.

It must be pretty annoying when the Star rep. has been selling you a boat load of advertising to get a put down by the critic.

Its a hard world out there if you don't have anything good to say, then keep quiet.

Constructive criticism is good. New bars and restaurants need support, not knocking all the time

I think you exaggerate slightly, show me a reataurant that Martin Dawes shut down with a bad review and I'll show you one that wouldn't have made it anyway. Any restaurant that believes an advert in the Star is a good idea is barking up the wrong tree.

New bars and restaurants need support but they also need to be professional about what they do. Too many get the basics wrong and wonder why they are empty.

Oh dear... another chain restaurant shaped nail in the coffin of good food. :(

Couldn't agree more Tony. But, we are in the minority and risk being called "snobs" or something worse for not following the herd.

The facts are that most folks enjoy these awful high street chain restaurants. Heaven knows what they would do if they ever had the opportunity to try a proper Vietnamese/Thai/Chinese restaurant serving authentic top quality fare. Actually, they probably wouldn't like it.

I'm about as excited about Wagamama coming to Sheffield as I would be about getting free tickets to see the Osmonds on tour. These places serve average food to average people.

Funny, my other half is Chinese/Thai, we eat genuine Thai and Chinese food cooked by her parents, or with her parents in the restaurants they prefer, yet we also like Wagamama. For what it is, it's not a restaurant at all, it's a ramen bar, fast food noodles. So long as you understand what you are getting there's no reason to dislike it, nor to be pretentious about it.

Archived