How often should you defrag your machine?

scottf

According to this post (by a supposed sysadmin:rolleyes:) defragging is pointless (though many other experienced users disagree).

Personally, I run a defrag once per week (though I do quite a lot of coding on this box, which results in quite severe fragmentation as I am testing SW).

Just run it when you feel like:thumbsup:

Defragging depends on how often you move data around and how full your HD is. If you've had it for two years.. give it a defrag anyway.. but if you don't move data around much, 2 years is about as often as you need to.

Personally I *should* be defragging at least once a month because of the amount of data that moves around and how full the disks are.. but I just can't be arsed for my home machine.

id like to backtrack slightly and aggree with dave, regular defragging will give a very small amount of improvent if you move lots of files or are always deleting old ones and starting new! but i still stand by that the amount of effort well out weighs the any benefits!

are you experiencing slow data access? or are you just wondering if you should defrag for teh sake of it?

id like to backtrack slightly and aggree with dave, regular defragging will give a very small amount of improvent if you move lots of files or are always deleting old ones and starting new! but i still stand by that the amount of effort well out weighs the any benefits!

are you experiencing slow data access? or are you just wondering if you should defrag for teh sake of it?

No - im just wondering if i should defrag for the sake of it as i know most of my mates do it quite regular.

Archived