Has anyone on here had anaemia?

Diva did your GP tell you what caused your anaemia? did they put you on iron tablets or just tell you to eat alot more food with iron in?

I know anaemia can also be caused by low levels of folic acid and vitamin B12.

Yeah, I'm on a high dosage of Ferrous Sulphate 3x daily and folic acid too. I suspect mine was partly due to insufficient iron in my diet (I don't eat red meat and am not too fond of leafy green veg either!) and partly due to "women's problems"! I've been told to eat dried apricots. Definitely feel loads better for the tablets.

By comparison to virtually every other blood test that they do on a routine basis, a full blood count is a really inexpensive test. Your GP would have to be very very certain what was causing your problems to refuse you a basic full blood count.

By comparison to virtually every other blood test that they do on a routine basis, a full blood count is a really inexpensive test. Your GP would have to be very very certain what was causing your problems to refuse you a basic full blood count.

I have seen 3 different doctors in the past 4 weeks, i saw one on monday and he just looked at me and said it's probably a virus or post virus symptoms and i was in there literally for less than a minute, i was expecting a blood test to be arranged at least and i will try again on friday but i will be very concerned if they came out with the same thing and refused a full blood count, i would consider reporting the GP's if no action is taken again because they cannot just presume that it may be a virus causing these symptoms.

I'd suggest taking an iron supplement, make sure you dont drink tea/coffee within an hour (before and after) of taking it as it will affect your body being able to absorb it. But if you take the supplement with vitamin c, this boosts your intake of iron. When I felt like this I got the liquid iron supplement to take (the others made me a bit constipated) and mixed it with pure orange juice. good luck, hope you feel better soon

You can buy an iron supplement for a couple of pounds and if you take them and feel better then you know that you were anaemic.

I bought some multi vitamins around 5 days ago which contain 14mg of iron but i don't feel any different, although 5 days probably isn't long enough for them to work.

I've just thought, also anaemia can be caused by vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency and not just iron.

you need to give it a month really - whats you general day to day diet like? do you have a healthly well balanced diet? just wondering if its something else causing it? Have you had your blood pressure checked?