Has anyone on here had anaemia?

I was diagnosed at the beginning of Dec last year. Been on tablets that the doc prescribed since then but still feel the same. My hair is still falling out, I'm tired all the time, its a real effort to do anything! Be prepared that if you are diagnosed, taking iron tablets wont make you feel better overnight, I've heard storys of it taking up to a year to feel OK again. Not sure if its a co-incidence or not, but I seem to be contracting colds/flu, stomach bugs a lot easier than I normally do so I'm pretty much crappy at the moment - not even been on a night out since late November last year!

ajd05, your symptoms sound scarily similar to what I was suffering from 18 months ago, so I'd suggest it's essential you get your blood tests done as soon as possible.

Here's what happened to me.

Hi Basil, Sorry to hear about that terrible experience that you had.

You've got me worrying now, the thing is how can i get blood tests done if these doctors i keep seeing won't do any?

Hi Basil, Sorry to hear about that terrible experience that you had.

You've got me worrying now, the thing is how can i get blood tests done if these doctors i keep seeing won't do any?

Print off this thread and show it to them?

Collapse in their surgery?

Or, bearing in mind your other thread; just ask for one as I beleive you didn;t actually ask specifically last time you went.

How long did you feel ill for basil before you had your blood tests done? i have been feeling ill for the past 4 weeks but it has got a lot worse in the past week or so where i am feeling weaker and weaker, my arms and legs feel very weak and i feel like i can't even be bothered to eat or drink and i keep feeling faint and lightheaded.

Print off this thread and show it to them?

Collapse in their surgery?

Or, bearing in mind your other thread; just ask for one as I beleive you didn;t actually ask specifically last time you went.

Collapsing in their surgery is probably the only way the doctors in the surgery would do anything.

No i didn't ask for one on monday when i saw a GP but i have an appointment tomorrow so i am going to request one but what if that request is refused?

How long did you feel ill for basil before you had your blood tests done? i have been feeling ill for the past 4 weeks but it has got a lot worse in the past week or so where i am feeling weaker and weaker, my arms and legs feel very weak and i feel like i can't even be bothered to eat or drink and i keep feeling faint and lightheaded.

I only noticed it after I stopped smoking a few weeks before, but I really started to notice it was serious when i was getting out of breath walking on the flat, never mind going uphill. I posted on the forum at the time, though the thread below was done before the true seriousness of the anaemia was known.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136294

I only noticed it after I stopped smoking a few weeks before, but I really started to notice it was serious when i was getting out of breath walking on the flat, never mind going uphill. I posted on the forum at the time, though the thread below was done before the true seriousness of the anaemia was known.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136294

Sorry to hear about that, that sounds terrible.

Thing is with me i am not really feeling out of breath, well i do get out of breath sometimes but i am asthmatic.

I am just worried that when i see my GP tomorrow they will yet again blame it on a virus/post virus, i will ask them for a full blood count but if they say no i don't know what i am going to do because it's frustrating enough keep waiting to see a GP never mind not getting to the bottom of this problem.

If they are blaming it on post virus it may be that they believe that you have post viral fatigue, which would be similar to what you have mentioned. To get a proper diagnosis on this, they should refer you to Rheumatology who do a thorough barage of blood tests in order to exclude any other possible condition, this would include checking for anaemia.

They don't usually do this until you have been suffering with the post viral fatigue for at least 6 months though, after which time it is called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

If they are blaming it on post virus it may be that they believe that you have post viral fatigue, which would be similar to what you have mentioned. To get a proper diagnosis on this, they should refer you to Rheumatology who do a thorough barage of blood tests in order to exclude any other possible condition, this would include checking for anaemia.

They don't usually do this until you have been suffering with the post viral fatigue for at least 6 months though, after which time it is called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Thanks for that reply, the thing is surely if my symptoms are getting worse which they are the doctor should do a blood test to rule things out and then they could maybe blame it on post viral symptoms.

But i'm feeling terrible and i just feel that these GP's are letting me suffer and they are not helping me in anyway.