The Shiny Sheff Sails Again (Pub)

Ousetunes

The pub presently known as The Sheffield on Lodge Moor finally reverts back to its original (and to many, only) name today, The Shiny Sheff.

Congratulations and thanks to present tenants Mel and Lynn for their efforts (and expense) in re-Christening our local The Shiny Sheff.

If you've not stepped foot in the pub for a while show your support now! Pubs in the region have been hit hard, particularly by the smoking ban (we've lost the King's Head and the Plough at Sandygate and Norfolk Arms at Rivelin remain closed). The Shiny Sheff has its karaoke night every Thursday and usually features X Factor's Mike Turner, aka John Travolta. Well worth a visit to see him alone! Occasional karaokes take place on Saturdays and there's a quiz on Sunday evenings.

Saturday 15th March sees the return of Elvis impersonator, The Rebel complete with - for the first time - his own backing group The Renegades. Absolutely not to be missed, The Rebel's last two visits have seen the pub packed to the rafters. Be there for 9pm (or much earlier if you want a seat!).

Finally, if that isn't enough to tempt you in, The Shiny Sheff's food, served 6pm till 9pm Monday to Saturday is well worth a try. The meat and potato pie is gorgeous and frankly, the Barnsley Chop is the biggest slab of lamb I think I have ever eaten in my life!

To those of you living in Lodge Moor, it's your pub and the message is clear: use it or face the prospect of losing it.

The pub presently known as The Sheffield on Lodge Moor finally reverts back to its original (and to many, only) name today, The Shiny Sheff.

Congratulations and thanks to present tenants Mel and Lynn for their efforts (and expense) in re-Christening our local The Shiny Sheff.

If you've not stepped foot in the pub for a while show your support now! Pubs in the region have been hit hard, particularly by the smoking ban (we've lost the King's Head and the Plough at Sandygate remains closed). The Shiny Sheff has its karaoke night every Thursday and usually features X Factor's Mike Turner, aka John Travolta. Well worth a visit to see him alone! Occasional karaokes take place on Saturdays and there's a quiz on Sunday evenings.

Saturday 15th March sees the return of Elvis impersonator, The Rebel complete with - for the first time - his own backing group The Renegades. Absolutely not to be missed, The Rebel's last two visits have seen the pub packed to the rafters. Be there for 9pm (or much earlier if you want a seat!).

Finally, if that isn't enough to tempt you in, The Shiny Sheff's food, served 6pm till 9pm Monday to Saturday is well worth a try. The meat and potato pie is gorgeous and frankly, the Barnsley Chop is the biggest slab of lamb I think I have ever eaten in my life!

To those of you living in Lodge Moor, it's your pub and the message is clear: use it or face the prospect of losing it.

Well Done! If only all customers were as passionate about thier locals! Too often you only hear it once they have been closed!

ooooh...its proper name thats cool!!!! THE SHEFFIELD was a stupid name!!!

What cask ale have you on? Tempt me and I will check you out!!!

I'm only a regular goldenfleece!

Just Timothy Taylor Landlord at the moment.

An increase in punters might see the range of cask ales expand.

Maybe he'll change his pub sign now.....a more depressing, spiritless pub sign you are never likely to see. To be honest if I was new to the area I would just feel like driving past the pub if that was the first thing I saw. Might only be a little thing but friendly welcoming warm looking signs draw in the punters not stark plain boring black and white.

Haven't been in for about a year now, but live very near. Last time I went in put me off....had some disgusting dish...called something like arabian rice..had to send it back. On and bar staff when punters order a drink be friendly, make eye contact and SMILE!

If it IS back to the SHINY SHEFF, that is far more than just a name. Under the previous management, well going back 15 years or more now, the pub was a monument to the HMS Sheffield, and regularly had naval personnel from the said vessel dropping in for beer and cigars if they were in town, always in full Naval officer Uniform plus caps! It was a very clean and proud place, full of naval relics, an old anchor was outside round the back, model ships all over the place and pressed uniforms on one of the walls at one point. It was like an officers mess!!!!

The Landlord was called Fred and I believe was a veteran of the HMS Sheffield himself. He ran a very tight ship, you did not mess with him!! I remember once I was in on a Sunday lunchtime with a girl, the first time I ever went in around 1980, and he made very loud comments on our non appropriate attire, ie jeans and leather jackets,and asked when was the last time I had visited a barber!! .....the rest of his flock were clad in suits and ties and Sunday best!!!! But we were welcomed aboard in a manner of speaking even though I got told off again for daring to put a shoe on the rung of one of his bar chairs while tying a boot lace......thought I would be walking the plank but I think I got away with it.....

Archived