The Shiny Sheff Sails Again (Pub)

Ousetunes

I think the bloke that tried to turn the pub into a wine bar and who was wholely responsible for changing the name in the first place to The Sheffield 'removed' some of the regalia and associated items upon his disappearing.

There's very little left, mainly the model of the battle ship in a glass case between the ladies and gents loos. All the old examples of knots and sundry other items of interest have gone (along with another smaller model of the ship which was taken by former tenants Dave and Jan, although this was done I am led to believe in an 'official capacity').

The name reverting back is a start and a welcome one at that.

Good news that this great name is back.

Although it seems to me than rather than the smoking ban, many people find the price of drinks in pubs a bit hard to bear especially when compared with the cheapness of alcohol bought from local shops to drink at home. None of the smoking regulars at my local "The Abbey" have stopped going in although they smoke less, but some of the older people have started to use the local wetherspoons instead because it is much cheaper. I have rarely seen "the Abbey" as busy as it is as the moment and I have lived nearby for nearly 20 years.

I'm sure if the Shiny Sheff is well run and cosy it will be popular pub for years to come.

I think the bloke that tried to turn the pub into a wine bar and who was wholely responsible for changing the name in the first place to The Sheffield 'removed' some of the regalia and associated items upon his disappearing.

There's very little left, mainly the model of the battle ship in a glass case between the ladies and gents loos. All the old examples of knots and sundry other items of interest have gone (along with another smaller model of the ship which was taken by former tenants Dave and Jan, although this was done I am led to believe in an 'official capacity').

Indeed! But somehow I don't think the days of officers from the HMS Sheffield calling in for cigars and beers will return though....but we move on, the name rings true....and I will be in very soon to try the beer.....

I remember lots of relics from circa 1980/1 time, many of which vanished a few years later as it was very slightly revamped...a lot of ships in glass cases vanished, and some stuffed fish....there was a ferocious looking evil king sized trout on the wall in the long bar, it gave me the creeps......

the sheffield/shiney sheff is too expensive and devoid of any atmosphere.

thursday nights used to be a laugh but they dropped the DJ and replaced him with the most obnocious (sp) big headed prat to run the evening.

well i'm sure the till takings confirmed if that was a good idea or not.

I believe that most of the bits and pieces went to the Sea Cadets when they were based at Loxley House. Hopefully they were kept when the SCC moved to the city centre.

dan.....who is this guy doing the karaoke....there are two guys that do the evening together as far as i am aware. they are quite recent though and replaced the 40ish bloke who did it before??

dan.....who is this guy doing the karaoke....there are two guys that do the evening together as far as i am aware. they are quite recent though and replaced the 40ish bloke who did it before??

i've not been in recently for the reasons previously mentioned.

the bloke who used to do it (well, last time i went in) was the guy who sang mustang sally and loved himself. (good singer but what a dick head).

i've not been in recently for the reasons previously mentioned.

the bloke who used to do it (well, last time i went in) was the guy who sang mustang sally and loved himself. (good singer but what a dick head).

I reckon I know who you're talking about and frankly, you've got the wrong end of the stick (IMO).

The guy simply doesn't take himself too seriously though I guess this might be lost on strangers to the pub. He's a nice, affable guy who always offers his help during karaokes and other performances.

Unless you're talking about someone else, but this guy in question always sings Mustang Sally and usually a David Gray track. On the other hand, if he was rude to you then that is unacceptable and he might well have had one over the eight?

PS. Andy and Mandy no longer host the karaoke; it is run by the present tenant.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived