The Shiny Sheff Sails Again (Pub)

Ousetunes

... Did a quick tour around 1400 hrs...Bank Holiday Monday and historically the Shiny Sheff should be PACKED with families dining out like it was in the past. In fact up to about 7 years ago this place would have been very very busy. Went in for a coffee and there were TWO customers........... the huge restaurant area was totally empty....

I must admit I was put off by the karaoke set-up....the Sheff is in a very very affluent catchment area and I cannot see karaoke being of any lasting appeal in S10.

The re-opened Plough appeared to have no customers at all, just the Manager drinking his own lager and reading the paper!

....and the Sportsman was closed!!

Three merry LADS was JAMMED PACKED, car park overflowing. Without a doubt the most successful pub in this area is the 3 Merry lads, the food is impossible to beat and its popularity seems perpetual. I can't see the food reputation of the SHEFF getting back up to its glorious heights of yesteryear...they had a serious of bad managers earlier this decade who totally wrecked it for food, and that was its core trade before....

... Did a quick tour around 1400 hrs...Bank Holiday Monday and historically the Shiny Sheff should be PACKED with families dining out like it was in the past. In fact up to about 7 years ago this place would have been very very busy. Went in for a coffee and there were TWO customers........... the huge restaurant area was totally empty....

I must admit I was put off by the karaoke set-up....the Sheff is in a very very affluent catchment area and I cannot see karaoke being of any lasting appeal in S10.

The re-opened Plough appeared to have no customers at all, just the Manager drinking his own lager and reading the paper!

Three merry LADS was JAMMED PACKED, car park overflowing. Without a doubt the most successful pub in this area is the 3 Merry lads, the food is impossible to beat and its popularity seems perpetual. I can't see the food reputation of the SHEFF getting back up to its glorious heights of yesteryear...they had a serious of bad managers earlier this decade who totally wrecked it for food, and that was its core trade before....

What are the changes at the plough?

What are the changes at the plough?

some beige paint on the wall, and THAT IS ALL! Same tatty and naff broken furniture, its like a morgue. ..and there is no longer any food or tea or coffee.....the last Landlord may have gone bankrupt, but at least he was a happy and jovial chap...the present one (only person I have seen behind the bar is one 45ish yr old London accent guy) seems to only know swear words and complains he has no customers....really hasn't a clue about the local area or the market to aim for....

The pub presently known as The Sheffield on Lodge Moor finally reverts back to its original (and to many, only) name today, The Shiny Sheff.

Congratulations and thanks to present tenants Mel and Lynn for their efforts (and expense) in re-Christening our local The Shiny Sheff.

If you've not stepped foot in the pub for a while show your support now! Pubs in the region have been hit hard, particularly by the smoking ban (we've lost the King's Head and the Plough at Sandygate and Norfolk Arms at Rivelin remain closed). The Shiny Sheff has its karaoke night every Thursday and usually features X Factor's Mike Turner, aka John Travolta. Well worth a visit to see him alone! Occasional karaokes take place on Saturdays and there's a quiz on Sunday evenings.

Saturday 15th March sees the return of Elvis impersonator, The Rebel complete with - for the first time - his own backing group The Renegades. Absolutely not to be missed, The Rebel's last two visits have seen the pub packed to the rafters. Be there for 9pm (or much earlier if you want a seat!).

Finally, if that isn't enough to tempt you in, The Shiny Sheff's food, served 6pm till 9pm Monday to Saturday is well worth a try. The meat and potato pie is gorgeous and frankly, the Barnsley Chop is the biggest slab of lamb I think I have ever eaten in my life!

To those of you living in Lodge Moor, it's your pub and the message is clear: use it or face the prospect of losing it.

Never liked the name change. It was a bit daft because calling a pub Sheffield meant googling to try to find details was impossible whereas Shiny Sheff was a doddle.

Apart from that I though the 2007 pub was OK. It was a long haul for us, but the proper food and ale was worth it. Chips that don't come from the deep freeze are to be encouraged.

I also liked the live bands. I went about once per week. We had a meal whilst watching a band and stayed for a few beers afterwards. A GOOD RANGE.

I wouldn't cross the road for a Karaoke. Well I would...but only to get away from it.

Now beer is around £2.50/pint it needs more than microwaved food and a karaoke to get me through the door.

[quote=goldenfleece;3292315I must admit I was put off by the karaoke set-up....the Sheff is in a very very affluent catchment area and I cannot see karaoke being of any lasting appeal in S10.

1 - The karaoke in the Shiny Sheff has been running since at least 1996. The machinery is left out because in addition to Thursday night, there is a karaoke every other Saturday night (on and off).

2 - The Three Merry Lads was jammed packed due to it being a Bank Holiday and the fact that the Sportsman further down the hill was closed (as they do on Mondays - their choice). The Sportsman's food knocks spots off the Three Merry Lads' and during the week when places like the Three Merry Lads are bereft of customers (and particularly diners) you'll find it hard to get a seat the the Sportsman. The Three Merry Lads' food is inconsistent, the Sportsman is always excellent, better value and IMO comes with better cask ales.

3 - The Shiny Sheff is on the market. True it's an affluent area but the Sheff backs onto a council estate. It looks part of that estate and potential customers are put off. Also, a strange thing, but the lack of an entrance into the car-park off Redmires Road also puts people off.

2 - The Three Merry Lads was jammed packed due to it being a Bank Holiday and the fact that the Sportsman further down the hill was closed (as they do on Mondays - their choice). The Sportsman's food knocks spots off the Three Merry Lads' and during the week when places like the Three Merry Lads are bereft of customers (and particularly diners) you'll find it hard to get a seat the the Sportsman. The Three Merry Lads' food is inconsistent, the Sportsman is always excellent, better value and IMO comes with better cask ales..

You think so? I went in the Sportsman about 2 weeks ago around 1.30pm and it was fairly quiet and also VERY CLIQUE!! You know the sort of thing, the regulars turn round and look at you when you walk in...but I had not been in since 1984 so maybe that was usual......Cask ale was good I admit, but the food was no better I thought then anywhere else.....

And the reason why you wont get a seat in the Sportsman is the fact its very small and 30 people in there would fill most of the seats....the Merry lads is far bigger and so will look emptier with 30 bodies in....in my opinion the Merry lads menu is much more comprehensive and in 5 yrs of almost weekly eating there I have never faulted the food yet

Archived