Disappointing tourist attractions

The Golden Mount in Thailand...

Biggest let down ever! It wasn't at ALL what I was expecting :P

You must have a good memory to reopen a 3 year old thread.

The Canterbury Tales , (the southern equivalent of the Viking show in York.. in guess where),

was utter rubbish.

I find that many major tourist attractions are disappointing as they become victims of their own success. There's just too many people at most attractions and too much tourist rip-offery going on around them.

Often it's the accidentally discovered places that aren't in the tourist books that provide the best memories.

Stonehenge. Not as large as you would think, from its films and photographs. Nevertheless, very much worth a visit.

That seems to be a very common reaction. It was certainly ours, though a sky full of dark lowering clouds made it very dramatic! And I agree, well worth the visit (if they'd only get the visitor centre sorted out :gag:)

The Petrified Forest, Napa valley, California

It's just 3 or 4 fossiled sections of tree trunks about 10 feet long lying around in a wood.

In the comments book someone had written he'd rather have flushed the 10 dollars down the toilet. He was right.

Archived