Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?

When I was a kid, dad used to always pick up hitch hikers and they would try to squeeze themselves in the back with 3 of us kids. We got to talk to people all over Europe :)

It was ok back then, but since I have been an adult we have given lifts only to a few, usually people we have felt sorry for stuck out in the rain in the countryside.

I've not seen anyone hitchhiking for years.

I used to do it a lot, 20,000+ miles a year at one point. A great way to travel, you meet some really interesting people, even got work out of it and if it took as long as public transport, I thought that was a bad day's hitching.

It's a bit tricky when you're on a bike.

Maybe I should invest in a tandem, on the off chance that I pass a large-breasted blonde at the roadside in desperate need of a ride? :confused:

Congratulations Basil. You've just hit your 8000th post.

When I used to do a lot of travelling for work, I would pick up the occasional hitcher if they didn't look too dodgy. Coming back from London one day I picked up this young soldier as I was approaching the M1. Luckily for him he lived about a mile from me at the time. We were chatting and he told me he was in the military band ( I forget which regiment). A couple of weeks later this band was blown up by the IRA on a bandstand in London. I often wonder if this lad was amongst the poor souls.

When I used to do a lot of travelling for work, I would pick up the occasional hitcher if they didn't look too dodgy. Coming back from London one day I picked up this young soldier as I was approaching the M1. Luckily for him he lived about a mile from me at the time. We were chatting and he told me he was in the military band ( I forget which regiment). A couple of weeks later this band was blown up by the IRA on a bandstand in London. I often wonder if this lad was amongst the poor souls.[/quote

Wasnt this when all the horses where slaughtered as well on the Mall.?

If not...it could have been Deal, where the Royal Marine Band where stationed.!

When i was in the Army in the 80's i used to hitch all over the country.!

And if i couldn't get a lift, i used to get changed into my uniform, and then hitch..worked a treat every time...Although officially, you shouldnt hav done it in uniform.(hitch i mean)..lol

jt

I've picked up loads of hitchers all over the place. The luckiest were a couple of girls I picked up in my first ever car, a Lada, about 18 years ago. This was deep in west Devon, in a totally remote spot, and they were trying to get to Bramall Lane, about half a mile from where I was going. Amazing coincidence, about 280 miles.

not long before that, I myself managed to get a hitch on a truck aged 19 from Piraeus, Greece, right the way to Dover.

Archived