Advice on script writing

RubyTuesday

I'm in the final year of my degree and one of my modules is centred around literary adaptations from book to film. Part of the assessment involves writing the opening of a film script based on one of the classic texts we're studying.

I've decided to base mine on 'Romeo and Juliet' - a modern day version. I've got a few ideas for an opening, but want to avoid cliches!

Any advice on the basics of script writing would be a big help! :wave:

I have no experience of screenwriting but I do know one of my pet hates as a viewer is when unrealistic dialogue is used to convey information. There's one of the Emma adaptations where the screenwriter is obviously at great pains in the opening scenes to introduce the various characters. For instance Emma says something to her father along the lines of "Remember what Mr Perry - the apothecary - told you..." It's just too unnatural! She would just have called him Mr Perry. Her father knows he's the apothecary. OK, the viewer doesn't know that, but find some other way of telling him! Another character interrupting to say how they prefer their own apothecary's advice or something. Anything!

It's like those terribly unauthentic TV telephone conversations where you can only see/hear one character and they're saying "What? You want me to come along at 3 o'clock? And meet you by the bus stop? And bring my shotgun with me?" Yes! To shoot the writer!! Sorry, perhaps you can tell it winds me up a little :hihi:

"What's that, Skippy? 'The RSPCA considers the Payroll Giving Scheme one of the most tax effective methods of giving and it’s simple to administer for employers. Because donations are taken before tax donors can give more money without it costing them more. So if a basic rate taxpayer wants to spend £10 a month giving to charity they can give £12.80 a month through Payroll Giving and it will cost them only £10 after tax. If they are a higher rate taxpayer they can give £16.80 to charity for the cost of a tenner. Many employees, from companies large and small, feel that payroll giving is an excellent benefit both for the community they work in and their workplace.'

Well, Skippy, I guess that's what we'll do..."

Certainly a lesson in what not to do :hihi:! Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated - I've made a start on my script but there's still a lot of work to do to get it up to scratch. I'm actually enjoying the opportunity to use my creativity so even if it's a disaster, I'll have enjoyed doing it (hopefully!).

Archived