Music venue recommendations please

Scarver

If you like rock Snafu in Rotherham have some great bands on. My other half insisted on taking my mom and stepdad there last month They are both 50 and they loved it!!Plus it's as nearer than Sheffield town centre for us.

Boardwalk, Red House, Dove and Rainbow, The Grapes, and, yes, even the Leadmill, are popular with those of every age and background. Another very good 'Rock' pub is the Lord Nelson on the corner of Pinstone St. and The Moor, which even has Heavy Rock Karaoke on every Wednesday!

Despite being nearly 50 my partner and I would like to go to more local live gigs. Any suggestions please as to where we could go to hear good music and not feel old enough to be everyone else's grandparents! We like a wide range of music, for me especially rock music but anything that is not club or dance music

Believe me you are still quite young to see live music (some of the people I often go with are older than you are). But If you want my advice don't go and see bands where the members are still teenagers and they are the current big thing, sometimes the young audience throw drinks about and you might not like it getting a face full of lager. In the last 12 months I have seen loads of great classic artists, including, Richard Thompson, Hanoi rocks, Spear of destiny, UFO, Icycle Works, Ray Davies, as well as people like Ryan Adams. Some of those artists are over 50, some over 60 and they give the youngsters a good run for their money.

There's this gig that I'm semi-organising at the Grapes on the 12th:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=313265

a folk/rock band, a medieval folk metal band, and a folk metal band.

The 2 gig promoters:

NineHertz - http://www.myspace.com/ninehertz and

TeamTall - http://www.myspace.com/teamtallpromotions

generally put on very good rock/metal gigs too. Most often at the Casbah and the Red House/Grapes, nowadays.

If the thread-starter could give more of an indication of what kind of music they want to hear, it'd be a lot easier for us to give more apt recommendations... the 'rock' spectrum is rather large, particularly in Sheffield which has a really diverse local scene, and one night a venue may be playing generic indie and punk rock, the next night avant-death metal....

Most of the venues have already been mentioned already. The ones I generally seem to end up at are Red House, Grapes, Corporation, Casbah, Dove n Rainbow for gigs. Used to go to Under the Boardwalk, DnR Live and the Cricketer's, but they're sadly rather defunct nowadays.

Archived