Woman jailed for 4 Years for knocking down a cyclist while texting and driving.

Ponder on the fact that had it been an HGV that ran the red light and she'd ploughed into the side of it at 45 MPH, there's a strong probability that she'd be getting the sympathy and the one who ran the red light would be getting the blame!

Not only was she texting but also doing 45mph in a 30 zone. The cyclist may well have run a red light but that was just one of many hazards she was incapable of dealing with, e.g. children also have a tendency to run across roads and ignore lights. She should have been paying attention and not been speeding. That's the law. Tough.

Without knowing the full facts its difficult to know that the texing made any difference at all.It may be that the cyclist put himself in a position where had she not been texing and not been over the speed limit,the outcome would probably have been the same.

Wouldnt it have been better to have slated the cyclist and be a warning to all cyclists?After all cyclists running red lights seems to be a growing trend,yet some how this is deemed ok.

if i run a red light then i would take the consequenses
He did.

i would not want to point the finger at someone else,just because they happened to be picking their nose,or texing.

He cant, he's dead.

The driver also has family,they also have to live with whats happened for the rest of their life,
They have four years to think about it.

What's the problem? Oh I remember, we all hate cyclists. :roll:

Both are at fault here. Her for speeding in a 30 zone and using mobile and him for jumping light.. and being without suitable wear.

Its against the law to ride a motorbike without a helmet so i think this law should be brought in for cyclists too- there are so many ignorant cyclists out there who go about totally unprotected. Most die because the injury is head related- my advice- take your own precautions and if you don't, then pay the consequences.

im sorry but that is absolutely disgraceful.

a young mans life is cut short just by one person thinking they are above the law.

one moment of her stupidity and that young mans family are affected forever....:rant:

i know she will have to live with what she has done forever but IMO she deserved a longer sentence than the one she got

Did you bother to read the article, the guy went through a red light, that's RED LIGHT for the hard of hearing as most cyclists seem to be blind when it comes to red lights.

She got 4 years, that means she's a short term prisoner and will do the same time as someone who gets 6 years but won't get any of the privileges of a long term prisoner, meaning the worst jails, three to a cell, and locked up for 23 hours a day.

It's tragic that this happened and the driver was at fault in the extreme, but some cyclists do take some stupid risks with themselves every day. As both a pedestrian and as a driver, they terrify me sometimes.

There was another case a while ago when the driver of an artic crushed a cyclist against a railing when turning left and I think received a prison term for it. Drivers know that you have to give room to a lorry making a turn, but some cyclists seem to think they're immune to injury. She was trying to squeeze along the inside of the lorry obviously not having noticed it was turning and was crushed. Also obviously not realising that drivers have blind spots....

As we're now trying to encourage people to cycle more, it should be compulsory for cyclists who've not passed a driving test to have some elementary training in road safey.

Archived