News about allotments on Holmhurst Road ?

Connie Lee

A number of Allotment plots were removed when Laycock Engineering built a factory on the site to build garage equipment. This would be in the early 1960s.

I've a contact who may be able to give you more details. ( If he's still with us ).

I've just looked at the post #2, map, and note that ' Perri wood Ave ' now occupies the area.

The Crematorium was built on the allotments as well, and part of the Fraser Estate. There's a few left but the vast area of allotments that was there in the 50s has mostly vanished, as has most of Barber's Fields, sadly :(

I've often asked myself. What happened to the Sweet Shop and who ran it? The shop was a small hut adjacent to the track that ran from Archer Road to either Frazer or Holmhurst Roads and also did anyone write its history?

Thanks to all of you for the help and information.

Found the allotments earlier this afternoon. It would be wonderful if I could actually get to use one of them ! The notice on the locked gate said that they are managed by Millhouses Freehold Allotment Society.

Have spent ages trying to find a way to contact them, but to no avail.

Once again - can anyone help with a contact address or number !

Thanks,

Connie

Archived