Eric Tebbs / JW Tebbs, Darnall

RichK

This is a total longshot - I was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Eric Tebbs, who used to run the betting shop on Stanniforth road, Darnall, next to the "horty club" (for a long time under the name of his father JW (Jack) Tebbs).

Eric was a lovely fellow, and by all accounts his father Jack too (he opened my first bank account for me back in 1973). I think Eric was bought out by Stanley racing who seem to have done nothing with the shop. I hope Eric has had a super retirement.

My Grandad Jim worked for Eric for a number of years, and I know he thought the world of the both of them.

I have spent many days losing my shirt in "TEBBYS".Eric was as you say a lovely man (but he would be if some nutter was putting money in his pocket like I was).You are correct Stanley racing had the shop after Eric finnished.I believe he lives in the Handsworth area now.Fond memouries indeed,as was Darnall at the time.

• 10 months later...

Eric is a member of my quiz team, I say team there is just him and me, and I see him every Monday. As you say he is a proper gentleman. He is alive but not kicking as much as he used to, he has just had a heart attack but is on the mend. I told him about your thread and he said he remembered your grandad very well and are you the grandson that went to university.

I have been involved with horseracing for nearly forty years and I certainly remember the Tebbs' racecourse operation. Wasn't there also a Ken Tebbs? One had black, Brylcreemed hair.

When I first raced, I had to travel with SUT from Pond Street. It was always good 'craic' because, in the main, it was the same people day-in, day-out.

Many of the passengers were people working in the betting ring and one of the stalwarts of the bus was Jack Room who often worked for the Tebbs' firm as a tic-tac. Another Sheffield man whom Eric may know, came from Sheffield and worked for Cliff Bailey. I remember Jack Tebbs wearing a great big stetson and being on the committee of the NBPA but I didn't know them from the Darnall shop. They didn't know me personally as I worked in the media sector. It was always the same driver. He has been discussed on another thread and I think his name was Lol who once the hat had been round, "Roomy" used to shout down the bus: "He thanks yer, one and all!"

There was no Parkway in those days and the bus travelled in from Tinsley. Some got off at Staniforth Road and heard: "See yer tomorrow, don't be late." I bet Eric can recall that from others' recollections.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This is a total longshot - I was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Eric Tebbs, who used to run the betting shop on Stanniforth road, Darnall, next to the "horty club" (for a long time under the name of his father JW (Jack) Tebbs).

Eric was a lovely fellow, and by all accounts his father Jack too (he opened my first bank account for me back in 1973). I think Eric was bought out by Stanley racing who seem to have done nothing with the shop. I hope Eric has had a super retirement.

My Grandad Jim worked for Eric for a number of years, and I know he thought the world of the both of them.

YES I REMEMBER THE BROTHERS AND THE BRYLCREEM..THEY USED TO DRINK IN THE SERGEANTS MESS AT THE OLD NORTON RAF CAMP...YEARS AGO...FRIENDS WITH MY PARENTS JOE AND WINIFRED KENRICK..CAME TO OUR HOUSE ON NORTON LANE A COUPLE OF TIMES..Hard Drinkers and great fun as I remember

• 2 weeks later...
Eric is a member of my quiz team, I say team there is just him and me, and I see him every Monday. As you say he is a proper gentleman. He is alive but not kicking as much as he used to, he has just had a heart attack but is on the mend. I told him about your thread and he said he remembered your grandad very well and are you the grandson that went to university.

I knew an Eric Tebbs who went to Monteney Junior School - any relation?

• 4 months later...

Archived