Numan Discos 1980s

Anyway, back on topic - anyone fancy a Numan disco ?

That could be interesting, though I'm not sure how large a crowd you could pull by promoting specifically as a "Numan night". (Trust me, I'm NOT knocking his appeal - I'd be the last person to do that).

Its unfortunate that you just missed the boat following Saturdays gig. The supposed "afteshow" was a joke.

i would be up for one as long as its not on sun 16th as i am having a new romantic night at the lord conyers in wales (not welsh wales lol) that night,numan,omd,john foxx,japan,hl,ect and some classic 80s stuff and only £3.00 entrance fee will even be taking my 1983 merc out that night

A new Romantic night at the Conyers? Are there many New Romantics left between Wales Bar & Hard Lane??!!

I used to put on a similar night for a couple of years a while ago in Sheffield (the old website should still be there, on my profile). And I used to drink in the Conyers....in the 80s...at the time of the New Romantics. Small world eh....

That could be interesting, though I'm not sure how large a crowd you could pull by promoting specifically as a "Numan night". (Trust me, I'm NOT knocking his appeal - I'd be the last person to do that).

Its unfortunate that you just missed the boat following Saturdays gig. The supposed "afteshow" was a joke.

That was because it was a last minute thing done just for fun.

As far as im aware four people turned up.

If there had been more notice, a lot more could have been done.

:D would love another numan disco in area now and again, with advertising i'm sure people will travel. by the way i'm one of those scottish fans who used to go to the numan discos in the 80's. a group of numanoids from glasgow and edinburgh used to hire a coach between us and travel to sheffield, darlington and redditch. now live here in syorks

When they were done a few years ago, it was mainly locals that turned up.

However, I know of a few that had people from all over - it just depends on how the promotion was done.

Would be interesting to do another, with decent promotion and plenty of notice.

If you went along to the Numan Disco's in the 80's at star's you probably bought the tickets from me or on the door.

Can anyone remember the Iceman who originally set up the first one then we carried it on when he left us.

Beryl and Tony were constantly contacted about the Disco's but Gary never came apart from the last one, when in town playing the City Hall.

Beryl once asked us where Sheffield was.

They were hard work but enjoyable.

Yes, People came from all over, the interest was really strong at that time. Local Hotels and Guest Houses did quite well.

Star's was always a small venue the dance floor like a shoe box.

But I think the fans looked forward to the Sheffield Disco's.

• 3 years later...
Reason I was interested, I used to be part of the 80's Numan disco's in Sheffield.

They began with four of us organizing the disco's, I worked on ticket sales and Poster design. Remembering back the initial idea came from someone called the ICEMAN, who put the music side together, then he found a dj who was into Numan and I designed the tickets and another friend joined us.

The iceman decided to drop out shortly after so we carried it on.

I took over promoting it, the dj stayed with us a friend had a van we used for transporting the equipment about and so on.

We gained interest from as far as Scotland to Cornwall who travelled up to Sheffield. There were an Hotel in Netheredge where

the Numan Fans would meet up. Then the day after at Mcdonalds in the City Centre.

Gary only came to one at the end after playing the City Hall, also the Human League girls Suzanne and Joanne came to one because they worked with our dj.

The Limit Club on west street was another meeting place during the week for a small group of Sheffield Numan fans.

The disco's were difficult at times not enough hours in the day.

They became a chore near the end.

We used our own lighting at times, smoke machines can't remember the intro's we used but one was The Steps by Visage.

We staged them at then Stars on Queens Road. Other Disco's I went along to at that time were staged in Manchester, Huddersfield, Redditch, Stockport, Bolton, Greater Manchester, London.

Who was the four and the friend who joined you, hope you don't mean Harvey.